Local Official's Certification of Need for a Continuing Education Program
The Committee recognizes that there may be occasions where a local government official identifies an existing continuing education program or offering, or an upcoming seminar, webinar, or other presentation, that would be particularly relevant and could meet all or a portion of the annual continuing education needs of that community.
However, for any number of reasons, getting the provider of the program to make application for South Carolina Planning Education Continuing Education (SCPEAC) credits may prove too time consuming, or costly, or simply impractical.
In such instances, the local government Planning Director, or the regional COG Director providing training for that local government, may make application on behalf of that local government only, certifying that this particular Continuing Education training offering meets the needs of the local government.
Local government certification is not needed for training programs provided by SCPEAC-approved Sponsors of Continuing Education Training Programs. List of Approved Sponsors.
All proposals will be reviewed by the Advisory Committee within 10 working days of receipt. If no concerns or objections are raised by the committee members, the application will be considered approved. If there are concerns, or additional information is required, applicants will be informed and a committee meeting will be scheduled at the earliest opportunity. Applicants will receive notice from the SCPEAC Chairman of the action taken.The Local Official’s Certification of Need for a Continuing Education Program
Continuing Education Programs can be delivered in a variety of formats, including but not limited to: conferences; seminars; training sessions and programs; live remote broadcasts of conferences and seminars; taped rebroadcasts of conferences or seminars; audio tape presentations; web-based presentations; CD-ROMs; DVDs; or similar media under the following conditions:
- The training is conducted in a group or classroom setting. No self-study or home study is allowed.
- The subject matter of the continuing education training program must be consistent with the requirements of SC Code Sec. 6-29-1340(c).
- There must be a Coordinator present during all portions of the continuing education training program. See below for Coordinator Qualifications.
- Be in a position of authority
- Have a working knowledge of the subject material as it pertains to the jurisdiction
- Have knowledge of the jurisdiction(s) attending the presentation
- Be able to facilitate discussion
- Be able to confirm attendance of participants
- Coordinators need not meet the exemption requirements of the State Code
Note: State law requires certification of attendance.
We have provided a model for A Uniform Certificate of Attendance for use in the Continuing Education training. This is a suggested model to document attendance at the activities. See SC Code Sec. 6-29-1360. This is not a requirement but a suggested model.The model Uniform Certificate of Attendance
Questions pertaining to any of these applications or general information should be directed to:
One Town Center Court
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928