Amend the bill, as and if amended, Part IB, Section 68a, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION, page 450, after line 3, by adding an appropriately numbered new proviso to read:
/ 68A.___ (DOT: Utilities Relocation) (A) From the funds appropriated to the Department of Transportation, there is established the Utilities Relocation Study Committee to review, study, and make recommendations concerning the need for improved coordination and funding of the relocation of water and sewer facilities located within the public rights-of-way when such relocation is required due to the construction or improvement of roads and bridges in the state.
(B) The Utilities Relocation Study Committee is to:
(1) identify and categorize a statewide estimate of the historical, current and anticipated costs associated with the relocation of utilities inside and outside the rights-of-way owned by state agencies, counties, municipalities, or local water or sewer districts resulting from highway projects;
(2) determine as accurately as possible the percentage of the statewide cost estimate attributable to South Carolina Department of Transportation projects, State Transportation Infrastructure Bank projects, local-option sales tax projects involving state roads, local road projects, and County Transportation Committee projects;
(3) identify potential sources of sustainable funds that may be used by state agencies, counties, municipalities, or local water or sewer districts for utility relocation costs including, but not limited to, existing state and federal loan and grant programs, appropriations from the state general fund, contributions from public utilities, and other sustainable sources;
(4) identify any legal obstacles that impact the ability of state agencies, counties, municipalities, or local water or sewer districts to fund the relocation of utilities;
(5) investigate the creation of a utilities relocation trust fund to assist in relocation costs either through loans, grants, matching funds, or other means, and recommend the appropriate entity to house and administer the trust fund, the terms and conditions under which funding might be provided, and the general criteria used for evaluating funding applications;
(6) identify ways to improve coordination and reduce impacts through the use of communication, technology and improved management techniques; and
(7) recommend changes to public policy, regulations, or statutes that would improve funding or reduce costs associated with utility relocations resulting from road and bridge projects.
(C) The Utilities Relocation Study Committee must be composed of fifteen members. Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 8-13-770, the committee is composed of:
(1) one member appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate;
(2) one member appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives;
(3) one member appointed by the Majority Leader of the Senate;
(4) one member appointed by the Majority Leader of the House of Representatives;
(5) one member appointed by the Minority Leader of the Senate;
(6) one member appointed by the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives;
(7) one member appointed by the Governor;
(8) the Secretary of Transportation, or his designee;
(9) the Chairman of the South Carolina Department of Transportation Commission, or his designee;
(10) one member representing the South Carolina Rural Water Association;
(11) one member representing the Water Utility Council of South Carolina;
(12) one member representing the South Carolina Water Quality Association;
(13) one member representing the Municipal Association of South Carolina;
(14) one member representing the South Carolina Association of Counties; and
(15) one member representing the South Carolina Association of Special Purpose Districts.
(D) The members of the study committee shall serve without compensation and may not receive mileage or per diem.
(E) The Utilities Relocation Study Committee shall make a report of its findings and recommendations to the General Assembly no later than June 30, 2013, at which time the study committee terminates. /
Renumber sections to conform.
Amend sections, totals and title to conform.