Reference is to Printer's Date 4/25/12-S.
Amend the bill, as and if amended, by striking all after the enacting words and inserting:
/ SECTION 1. Section 56-5-3860 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
(A)(1) No person, unless
otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer, shall occupy
any space within the limits of the roadway and shoulders of the
main facility of a freeway with an animal-drawn vehicle, a
ridden or led animal, herded animals, a pushcart, a bicycle, a
bicycle with motor attached, a motor-driven cycle with a motor
which produces not to exceed five brake horsepower, an
agricultural tractor or other farm machinery, except in the
performance of public works or official duties.
(2) The prohibitions imposed by this subsection on the use of freeways do not apply to service roads alongside the highways.
(B)(1) A local governing body may authorize a partial exemption from the provisions contained in subsection (A) that would allow bicyclists and pedestrians to use the roadway and shoulders of the main facility of a non-interstate freeway.
(2) The local governing body may authorize a partial exemption to subsection (A) for bicyclists and pedestrians if the local governing body:
(a) determines that bicyclists and pedestrians have no other reasonably safe or viable alternative route and the use of the freeway route is at least ten percent less than the shortest conventional alternate route;
(b) adopts an ordinance allowing bicycle and pedestrian traffic on the shoulder of a main facility of the non-interstate freeway and allowing bicycle and pedestrian traffic on the roadway when utilizing the shoulder is not practicable because of an obstruction or an unpaved shoulder, or when necessary to cross an access ramp in compliance with accepted bicycle safety standards and practices; and
(c) notifies the department that the ordinance has been adopted.
(3) Upon receiving notice pursuant to item (3)(c), the department shall remove all signs prohibiting pedestrians and bicyclists along the roadway and shoulders of the main facility of the portion of the freeway to which the ordinance applies.
(4) The local governing body may request permission from the department to erect appropriate signs and markers along the roadway and shoulders of the main facility of the portion of the freeway to which the partial exemption applies.
(5) Two or more local governing bodies that have jurisdiction over portions of a section of a roadway to which a partial exemption from the provisions contained in subsection (A) is proposed may authorize an exemption for the entire section if the local governing bodies affected by the proposed exemption formally agree to granting the exemption and each local jurisdiction completes the exemption procedure contained in this section for the portion of the roadway section that passes through its jurisdiction.
A person who violates the provisions of this
section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be
fined not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned not more
than thirty days."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor. /
Renumber sections to conform.
Amend title to conform.