Copyright and Disclaimer
The State of South Carolina owns the copyright to the Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976, as contained herein. Any use of the text, section headings, or catchlines of the 1976 Code is subject to the terms of federal copyright and other applicable laws and such text, section headings, or catchlines may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any form or for inclusion in any material which is offered for sale or lease without the express written permission of the Chairman of the South Carolina Legislative Council or the Code Commissioner of South Carolina.
This statutory database is current through the 2000 Regular Session of the South Carolina General Assembly. Changes to the statutes enacted by the 2001 General Assembly, which will convene in January 2001, will be incorporated as soon as possible. Some changes enacted by the 2001 General Assembly may take immediate effect. The State of South Carolina and the South Carolina Legislative Council make no warranty as to the accuracy of the data, and users rely on the data entirely at their own risk.
The Legislative Council by law is charged with compiling and publishing the 1976 Code and it is maintained in a database which may be accessed for commercial purposes by contacting the Legislative Council or the office of Legislative Printing, Information and Technology Resources.
Title 48 - Environmental Protection and Conservation
SOUTH CAROLINA ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS AWARD
Selection committee; chairman and secretary; expenses.
(A) The South Carolina Environmental Awareness Award must be presented annually by a committee of two members appointed from each of the following:
(1) South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control by its commissioner;
(2) State Commission of Forestry by its chairman;
(3) South Carolina Sea Grant Consortium by its executive director;
(4) Water Resources Division of the Department of Natural Resources by the department's director;
(5) Wildlife and Freshwater Fish Division of the Department of Natural Resources by the department's director;
(6) Land Resources and Conservation Districts Division of the Department of Natural Resources by the department's director; and
(7) Coastal Division of the Department of Health and Environmental Control by the department's director;
(8) Marine Resources Division of the Department of Natural Resources by the department's director.
(B) The committee shall elect from its members a chairman and a secretary. Each department or commission shall provide for the expenses of its members, except collective expenses must be shared by the departments and the commissions. Members are not eligible for mileage or per diem.
Committee to establish procedures for meetings, nominations, and selection of recipient.
The committee shall establish procedures for:
(1) conducting and scheduling its meetings;
(2) receiving nominations for the award; and
(3) selecting the recipient of the award.
Award criteria; presentation of award.
Presentation of the award and all related announcements must be made annually the first week in February. It must recognize outstanding contributions made toward the conservation of South Carolina's environment for the previous year. The recipient shall:
(1) exemplify extraordinary dedication to preserving and protecting the environment and natural resources of South Carolina through statewide efforts or efforts in his community or neighborhood;
(2) possess upstanding moral character; and
(3) meet other reasonable criteria considered appropriate by the committee.