This statutory database is current through the 2003 Regular Session of the South Carolina General Assembly. Changes to the statutes enacted by the 2004 General Assembly, which will convene in January 2004, will be incorporated as soon as possible. Some changes enacted by the 2004 General Assembly may take immediate effect. The State of South Carolina and the South Carolina Legislative Council make no warranty as to the accuracy of the data, and users rely on the data entirely at their own risk.
Title 9 - Retirement Systems
RETIREMENT AND PRE-RETIREMENT ADVISORY BOARD
South Carolina Retirement and Pre-Retirement Advisory Board created; purpose.
There is hereby created the South Carolina Retirement and Pre-Retirement Advisory Board for the purpose of advising the Director of the South Carolina Retirement System and the Director of the State Personnel Division on matters relating to retirement and pre-retirement programs and policies.
Membership of board; terms of offices; vacancies; officers.
(a) The board shall consist of eight members appointed by the State Budget and Control Board and must be constituted as follows:
(1) one member representing municipal employees;
(2) one member representing county employees;
(3) three members representing state employees, one of whom must be retired and one of whom must be an active or retired law enforcement officer who is contributing to or receiving benefits from the Police Officers Retirement System. If this law enforcement member is retired, the other two members representing state employees do not have to be retired;
(4) two members representing public school teachers, one of whom must be retired;
(5) one member representing the higher education teachers. The Budget and Control Board shall invite the appropriate associations, groups, and individuals to recommend persons to serve on the board.
(b) The terms of the members shall be for four years and until their successors have been appointed and qualify. No member shall serve more than two consecutive terms. After serving two consecutive terms a member shall be eligible to serve again four years after the expiration of his second term. Provided, that of those first appointed four of the members shall serve for a term of two years. In the event of a vacancy, a successor shall be appointed in the same manner as the original appointment to serve the unexpired term.
(c) A chairman, vice chairman and secretary shall be elected from among the membership to serve for terms of two years.
Meetings of board.
The board shall meet once a year with the Director of the South Carolina Retirement System; once a year with the State Personnel Director; and once a year with the State Budget and Control Board. The chairman may call additional meetings of the board at such other times as deemed necessary and shall give timely notice of such meetings.
Duties of board.
The board shall review retirement and pre-retirement programs and policies, propose recommendations, and identify major issues for consideration.
Staff assistance from other agencies; other resources.
The board is authorized to seek reasonable staff assistance from the South Carolina Retirement System, the State Personnel Division and other State agencies which may be concerned with a particular area of study. The board is also encouraged to use such resources as faculty and students at public universities, colleges and technical education schools in South Carolina.