1976 South Carolina Code of Laws
Updated through the end of the 2003 Session
DisclaimerThis statutory database is current through the 2003 Regular Session of the South Carolina General Assembly. Changes to the statutes enacted by the 2004 General Assembly, which will convene in January 2004, will be incorporated as soon as possible. Some changes enacted by the 2004 General Assembly may take immediate effect. The State of South Carolina and the South Carolina Legislative Council make no warranty as to the accuracy of the data, and users rely on the data entirely at their own risk.
Title 24 - Corrections, Jails, Probations, Paroles and Pardons
PALMETTO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 1
SECTION 24-25-10. Palmetto Unified School District No. 1 established.
There is hereby established a special statewide unified school district within the South Carolina Department of Corrections to be known as the "Palmetto Unified School District No. 1."
SECTION 24-25-20. Purpose.
The purpose of the district is to enhance the quality and scope of education for inmates within the Department of Corrections so that they will be better motivated and better equipped to restore themselves in the community. The establishment of this district shall ensure that education programs are available to all inmates with less than a high school diploma, or its equivalent, and that various vocational training programs are made available to selected inmates with the necessary aptitude and desire. Where enrollment in an education program must be restricted, justification for that restriction should be documented by the district.
SECTION 24-25-30. District schools to meet state standards; state Superintendent of Education to administer standards; reports; evaluations.
Academic and vocational training provided by the Palmetto Unified School District No. 1 shall meet standards prescribed by the State Board of Education, for the academic and vocational programs of these schools. The State Superintendent of Education shall administer the standards relating to the educational programs of the district. Reports shall be made by the State Department of Education to the Board of Trustees indicating the degree of compliance with the standards prescribed by the State Board of Education at least annually. Such State Department of Education supervisory personnel as deemed appropriate by the Department shall be utilized for evaluating the programs of the district and reporting to the district board.
SECTION 24-25-35. Funds for certain educational programs in Palmetto Unified School District 1 of South Carolina Department of Corrections.
The Palmetto Unified School District 1 of the South Carolina Department of Corrections shall submit appropriate student membership information to the State Department of Education and the South Carolina Department of Education's appropriation request under the line item "Education Finance Act" shall include sufficient funds for the Palmetto Unified School District 1. The amount to be requested for the Palmetto Unified School District 1 shall be sufficient to produce funds equal to the product of the number of students served by the school district weighted according to the criteria established by the South Carolina Department of Education under the provisions of the South Carolina Education Act of 1977 and the state portion of the appropriated value statewide of the base student costs, adjusted for twelve months operation. The Palmetto Unified School District No. 1 shall comply with the following provisions of subsection (4) of Section 59-20-50, subsections (1), (2), (3)(a), (4)(b), (c), (d), (e), and (f) of Section 59-20-60. The South Carolina Department of Education annually shall determine that these provisions are being met and include its findings in the report mandated in subsection (5)(e) of Section 59-20-60. If the accreditation standards set forth in the Defined Minimum Program for the Palmetto Unified School District No. 1 as approved by the State Board of Education are not met, funds by this section shall be reduced the following fiscal year according to the provisions set forth in the Education Finance Act.
SECTION 24-25-40. Trustees of school district; appointment; terms; vacancies.
The Palmetto Unified School District No. 1 shall be under the control and management of a board of nine trustees who shall operate the district under the supervision of the State Department of Corrections. Four members of the school board shall be appointed by the Director of the Department of Corrections, four members of the school board shall be appointed by the State Superintendent of Education, and one member of the school board shall be appointed by the Governor. The members of the board shall be appointed for terms of four years each and until their successors are appointed and qualify; except that of those first appointed, the members appointed by the Director of the Department of Corrections and the members appointed by the State Superintendent of Education shall be appointed for terms of one, two, three and four years, respectively, such terms to be designated by the Director of the Department of Corrections and the State Superintendent of Education when making such appointments. The member initially appointed by the Governor also shall be appointed for a term of four years. Vacancies on the board shall be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term by appointment in the same manner as provided for the original appointment.
SECTION 24-25-50. Removal of school board members.
The members of the school board may be removed at any time for good cause by the Director of the Department of Corrections. The failure of any member of the school board to attend at least three consecutive meetings thereof, unless excused by formal vote of the school board, may be construed by the Director of the Department of Corrections as a resignation from the school board.
SECTION 24-25-60. Board to elect officers; terms; meetings; compensation.
The school board at its first meeting, and every two years thereafter, shall elect a chairman, a vice-chairman and such other officers as it deems necessary who shall serve for two years each and until their successors are elected and qualify. No person may succeed himself as chairman of the board. The school board shall meet at least quarterly and at such other times as may be designated by the chairman. Special meetings may be called by the chairman or by a majority of the members of the board upon at least seventy-two hours notice. Five members of the board shall constitute a quorum at all meetings thereof. The members of the board shall be paid per diem, mileage and subsistence as provided by law for members of boards, commissions and committees.
SECTION 24-25-70. Powers and duties of school board.
With the consent and concurrence of the Director of the Department of Corrections, the board of the school district shall operate as executory agent for the schools under its jurisdiction and shall perform administrative functions as follows:
(1) establish goals and objectives for the operation of the district;
(2) enter into agreements and contracts with other school districts, technical schools, colleges and universities;
(3) establish academic education programs ranging from primary through post high school, as well as special education for the handicapped and mentally retarded;
(4) establish vocational and trade courses as appropriate for preparation for employment;
(5) determine physical facilities needed to carry out all education programs;
(6) review and approve applications for grants, donations, contracts and other agreements from public or private sources;
(7) establish a twelve-month school program and teachers' pay schedule based on the state and average school supplement pay scales;
(8) present an annual educational budget to the Department of Corrections for submission to the General Assembly. The Department of Corrections when making its annual budget request shall incorporate as a line item the budget of the district within its request. To the extent permitted by law, any funds which may be appropriated by the General Assembly for the operation of the district shall not prohibit the district from securing any applicable federal funds or other funds which are available.
SECTION 24-25-80. Duties of district Superintendent of Education.
The duties of the district Superintendent of Education shall include the following:
(1) Identify goals and objectives for all educational services of the district;
(2) Develop policies and procedures for efficient delivery system of such services;
(3) Collect and analyze data necessary for research into planning and evaluation of educational services;
(4) Provide necessary information for preparation of an annual report of the district's operation;
(5) Prepare a separate budget of all necessary costs to be provided to the inmate by the unified school district;
(6) Recommend to the school board plans for the renovations and designation of educational facilities;
(7) Provide all such studies, research and evaluation of the district's operation as the board may request and perform such other duties as it may request.
SECTION 24-25-90. Superintendent and other personnel to be employed according to Department of Correction policies.
The superintendent of the district and all other educational personnel shall be employed, supervised, and terminated according to the South Carolina Department of Corrections' personnel policies and procedures.