1976 South Carolina Code of Laws
Updated through the end of the 2005 Regular Session
This statutory database is current through the 2005 Regular Session of the South Carolina General Assembly. Changes to the statutes enacted by the 2006 General Assembly, which will convene in January 2006, will be incorporated as soon as possible. Some changes enacted by the 2006 General Assembly may take immediate effect. The State of South Carolina and the South Carolina Legislative Council make no warranty as to the accuracy of the data, or changes which may have been enacted since the 2005 Regular Session or which took effect after this database was prepared and users rely on the data entirely at their own risk.
Title 48 - Environmental Protection and Conservation
SOUTH CAROLINA ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS AWARD
SECTION 48-55-10. Selection committee; chairman and secretary; expenses.
(A) The South Carolina Environmental Awareness Award must be presented annually by a committee of two members appointed from each of the following:
(1) South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control by its commissioner;
(2) State Commission of Forestry by its chairman;
(3) South Carolina Sea Grant Consortium by its executive director;
(4) Water Resources Division of the Department of Natural Resources by the department's director;
(5) Wildlife and Freshwater Fish Division of the Department of Natural Resources by the department's director;
(6) Land Resources and Conservation Districts Division of the Department of Natural Resources by the department's director; and
(7) Coastal Division of the Department of Health and Environmental Control by the department's director;
(8) Marine Resources Division of the Department of Natural Resources by the department's director.
(B) The committee shall elect from its members a chairman and a secretary. Each department or commission shall provide for the expenses of its members, except collective expenses must be shared by the departments and the commissions. Members are not eligible for mileage or per diem.
SECTION 48-55-20. Committee to establish procedures for meetings, nominations, and selection of recipient.
The committee shall establish procedures for:
(1) conducting and scheduling its meetings;
(2) receiving nominations for the award; and
(3) selecting the recipient of the award.
SECTION 48-55-30. Award criteria; presentation of award.
Presentation of the award and all related announcements must be made annually the first week in February. It must recognize outstanding contributions made toward the conservation of South Carolina's environment for the previous year. The recipient shall:
(1) exemplify extraordinary dedication to preserving and protecting the environment and natural resources of South Carolina through statewide efforts or efforts in his community or neighborhood;
(2) possess upstanding moral character; and
(3) meet other reasonable criteria considered appropriate by the committee.