EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2001-09
WHEREAS, the availability of affordable, safe, and sanitary housing for all citizens is essential to the well being of families and to the economic prosperity of the State of South Carolina; and
WHEREAS, affordable housing plays a fundamental role in the quality of life of South Carolina's citizens, and the State cannot overlook the needs of its citizens; and
WHEREAS, it is in the best interest of the State that citizens have access to affordable housing, which encourages their contributions to their community's economic growth and viability; and
WHEREAS, as Governor of the State of South Carolina, I am committed to addressing and ensuring improved development of and access to affordable housing to all citizens, including both renters and homeowners.
NOW, THEREFORE, I do hereby establish the Governor's Task Force on Affordable Housing ("Task Force"). The objective of the Task Force shall be developing a coordinated strategy to meet the affordable housing needs of South Carolinians who are in need, or facing difficulties in obtaining affordable housing. The Task Force shall:
- Conduct a comprehensive review of all policy and data issues involved in planning and coordinating housing programs in South Carolina. This review shall analyze the availability and efficacy of existing housing, as well as housing resources and needs. The review shall focus on identifying affected populations, improving the flow of federal and local resources, targeting resources to meet the most critical needs, and removing barriers that impede opportunities for community inclusion.
- Review the needs of any population with severe difficulty accessing affordable housing through the private housing market and for whom home ownership is not an affordable option. This review also shall focus on the affordable rental housing shortage, and on housing needs of vulnerable populations, including the elderly, homeless, or individuals with mental or physical disabilities.
- Analyze the special barriers of accessing affordable housing for those who live in rural communities with inadequate or non-existing infrastructure. The review also shall focus on economic development obstacles and opportunities for affordable housing in rural communities.
- Examine issues affecting financing of housing for individuals, developers, both for-profit and non-profit, and governmental bodies. This examination also shall examine available funding sources and incentives.
- Submit a comprehensive written report of its findings to the Governor no later than October 1, 2001. The report must include specific recommendations on how South Carolina can improve housing by legislative, administrative, or agency action.
- The plan shall contain a timeline for implementation.
- All affected agencies and other public entities shall cooperate fully with the Task Force's research, analysis and production of the report.
- The Governor's Office Division of Constituent Services shall provide staff support as necessary to assist the task force in carrying out the directives of this Executive Order.
This Order shall take effect immediately.
GIVEN UNDER MY HAND AND THE GREAT SEAL OF THE STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, THIS 5th DAY OF APRIL, 2001.
Last Updated: Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 10:23 A.M.