EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2002-20
WHEREAS, there exists an opportunity for South Carolina to strengthen its educational system by maximizing opportunities presented by the federal No Child Left Behind legislation; and
WHEREAS, there is a need for collaboration among business and educational leaders to promote a coordinated educational policy throughout the South Carolina educational system; and
WHEREAS, there is a need to develop an on-going bipartisan approach to recommend statewide educational policy to the Governor and the General Assembly; and
WHEREAS, a coordinated focus on higher education can support the economic development of our State.
NOW, THEREFORE, there is hereby established a South Carolina Education Roundtable, the purpose of which is to:
- Provide guidance to the State Superintendent of Education, the Governor, and the General Assembly on ways to maximize the impact of the No Child Left Behind legislation.
- Make recommendations to the Governor and General Assembly on ways to insure a coordinated pre-K through college system designed to enhance educational quality in South Carolina.
- Provide direction to South Carolina institutions of higher education through an analysis of best national practices.
- Provide bipartisan continuity in the development of educational policy in South Carolina.
- Insure that institutions of higher education develop policies that are consistent with State goals.
To carry out the purposes of this order, the Education Roundtable shall:
- Examine national best practices in early childhood development, public school initiatives and higher education governance.
- Submit recommendations at least annually to the Governor and General Assembly that reflect the findings of the Roundtable.
- Accept public funds and private donations to carry out its mission and advance its proposals.
GIVEN UNDER MY HAND AND THE GREAT SEAL OF THE STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, THIS 12th DAY OF AUGUST, 2002.
Last Updated: Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 11:02 A.M.