EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2003-16
WHEREAS, the waters of the State are a finite and valuable natural resource, and an adequate supply of high quality water is essential to the health, safety, welfare and quality of life of the citizens of South Carolina; and
WHEREAS, water is vital for individual, agricultural, industrial, commercial and recreational uses, and is essential for fish and wildlife; and
WHEREAS, the laws and regulations pertaining to the State's water resources should be periodically reviewed to insure that those laws and regulations allow for the effective management and stewardship of this critical natural resource; and
WHEREAS, the Board of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources has requested the establishment of a water law review committee to assess the State's water laws.
NOW, THEREFORE, I do hereby establish the Governor's Water Law Review Committee (the Committee").
- The Committee shall conduct a comprehensive review of South Carolina's water laws and recommend changes that would improve those laws.
- As part of its review of South Carolina's existing water laws, the Committee shall receive testimony from the public and interested parties.
- The Committee shall also evaluate whether South Carolina should enter into compacts with neighboring states regarding shared water resources.
- The Committee shall be comprised of members appointed by the Governor, including a Professor of the University of South Carolina School of Law who shall serve as its chairman.
- The Committee shall be authorized in the furtherance of its mission to hold public hearings and take such other actions as it deems necessary and advisable.
- The Committee shall release a report of its findings by January 13, 2004, and issue additional reports as directed by the Governor.
- The Governor's Office and the Office of the Executive Director, Budget and Control Board, shall provide staff support as necessary to assist the Committee in carrying out the directives of this Executive Order. The Committee may also receive staff support and technical assistance from the Department of Natural Resources and the Department of Health and Environmental Control, as their respective boards and the Committee deem appropriate.
This Order shall take effect immediately.
GIVEN UNDER MY HAND AND THE GREAT SEAL OF THE STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, THIS 24th DAY OF JUNE, 2003
Last Updated: Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 11:14 A.M.