EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2005-16
WHEREAS, the economic health and vitality of South Carolina is an area of great importance to all South Carolinians; and
WHEREAS, the successful and effective operation of South Carolina's workers' compensation system has a direct effect on the ability of employers and workers to thrive and prosper and thereby enhances the economic health of this state; and
WHEREAS, current and impending concerns facing the workers' compensation system such as continual rising premiums, the need for review of current laws and the claims review process, and the need for overall improvement in the system necessitate a thorough examination of the workers' compensation system; and
WHEREAS, workers' compensation reform is necessary to ensure the economic health and development of South Carolina.
NOW, THEREFORE, I do hereby establish the Governor's Workers' Compensation Reform Task Force (the "Task Force").
- The Task Force shall make recommendations to improve the overall system of workers' compensation and shall study areas of concern to include, but not be limited to:
- the dramatic rise of workers' compensation premiums;
- the current awards review process;
- the current decision and appeals process;
- the service delivery and data collection operation utilized by the South Carolina Workers' Compensation Commission; and
- the current oversight of the workers' compensation system to include a review of the existing Workers' Compensation Advisory Committee created pursuant to Section 42-3-120 of the South Carolina Code of Laws.
- The Task Force shall be comprised of business representatives, attorneys, insurance industry representatives, and physicians.
- The Task Force shall be authorized in the furtherance of its mission to hold public hearings and take such other actions as it deems necessary and advisable.
- The Task Force shall identify reforms and policy recommendations in a final report to the Governor by no later than January 1, 2006.
- The Governor's Office, the Department of Commerce and the Department of Insurance shall provide staff support as necessary to assist the Task Force in carrying out the directives of this Executive Order.
This Order shall take effect immediately.
GIVEN UNDER MY HAND AND THE GREAT SEAL OF THE STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, THIS 26th DAY OF JULY, 2005.
Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 4:08 P.M.