EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2007-06
WHEREAS, the economic health of this State is a top priority for our citizens; and
WHEREAS, as chief executive of the State, I am charged with improving the way our state government does business; and
WHEREAS, it is necessary to determine ways in which the Executive Branch government systems and services can be made more productive, more efficient and less costly, while providing an emphasis on customer satisfaction and productivity; and
WHEREAS, other states and the federal government have successfully undertaken similar efforts and identified sound management practices while enhancing accountability and performance, thereby serving the best interests of their citizens.
NOW, THEREFORE, I do hereby establish the Government Efficiency and Accountability Review Committee (the “Committee”).
1. The Committee shall analyze the systems and services within and provided by the South Carolina State Budget and Control Board in an effort to propose changes which will reduce costs, increase accountability, improve services, consolidate similar functions, return functions to the private sector and help South Carolina become more competitive in a world economy.
2. The Committee shall be comprised of nine members. Five shall be appointed by the Governor, one of whom shall serve as Chair. The State Treasurer, the State Comptroller General, the Senate Finance Chairman and the Chairman of the House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee, as members of the Budget and Control Board, may each appoint one member. In making said appointments, members of the Budget and Control Board should give consideration to persons with expertise in areas particular to the functions of the Budget and Control Board, such as Information Technology, Procurement Services, Fleet Management, Retirement and Pension Services, Budget and Finance, Insurance and Grant Services, and Real Estate.
3. The Committee shall be authorized in the furtherance of its mission to hold public hearings, conduct site visits of the Budget and Control Board, and take such other actions as it deems necessary and advisable.
4. The Committee will release its final report by June 15, 2007.
5. The Governor’s Office and the Office of the Executive Director of the Budget and Control Board, shall provide staff support as necessary to assist the Committee in carrying out the directives of this Executive Order.
This Order shall take effect immediately.
GIVEN UNDER MY HAND AND THE GREAT SEAL OF THE STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, THIS 26th DAY OF FEBRUARY, 2007
This page last updated on
Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 4:12 P.M.