EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 99-7
WHEREAS, there is a need to bring together the principal agencies involved in the
implementation of environmental policy at the State level to work on major environmental policy
a more coordinated, cooperative and comprehensive manner instead of a piecemeal,
WHEREAS, the citizens of the State of South Carolina need their state agencies to
collaborate and cooperate
fully to identify the major environmental issues facing the State of South Carolina;
NOW, THEREFORE, I hereby establish the Interagency Council on Natural Resources
referred to as "the Council"), which shall have the following duties and
- To assist the Governor's Office and the General Assembly in identifying the major
facing the State for the purpose of assisting the Governor and the General Assembly in
comprehensive environmental policy; and
- To prepare policies and reports on environmental issues at the direction of the Governor,
such reports to
include recommendations to the Governor, the General Assembly, and agency governing boards
- To ensure that the affected agencies of State government collaborate and cooperate fully to
environmental issues identified by the Governor and the General Assembly; and
- On behalf of and with the participation of the participating agencies, to periodically assess
and report to
the Governor, the General Assembly and the citizens of the State of South Carolina on the state
Carolina's environment; and
- To develop action plans for the consideration of the Governor, the General Assembly and
to address major environmental problems, issues, or needs identified during its deliberations.
It is further provided that the Council shall have the following voting members:
- The Governor, or his designee; and
- The Director of the Department of Health and Environmental Control, or his designee;
- The Director of the Department of Natural Resources, or his designee; and
- The Commissioner of the Department of Agriculture, or his designee; and
- The Director of the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism; and
- The State Forester.
It is further provided that the Council shall have the following non-voting members:
- The Secretary of Commerce, or his designee; and
- The Director of the Department of Revenue; and
- The Executive Director of the Department of Transportation.
It is further provided that the Council shall select two non-voting advisory members from each of
following categories for one-year terms:
- Environmental interest organizations; and
- Scientists from the environmental programs or science departments from public universities
in the State.
This Order shall take effect immediately.
GIVEN UNDER MY HAND AND THE GREAT SEAL OF THE STATE OF SOUTH
THIS 4TH DAY OF FEBRUARY, 1999.
Last Updated: Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 11:20 A.M.