Current StatusView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
Bill Number: 853 Ratification Number: 423 Act Number 347 Introducing Body: Senate Subject: Related to creation of the Olde English District and Commission and define the powers and duties of the commission
(A347, R423, S853)
AN ACT TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING ARTICLE 19 TO CHAPTER 13 OF TITLE 61 SO AS TO CREATE THE OLDE ENGLISH DISTRICT AND COMMISSION AND DEFINE THE POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE COMMISSION.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Olde English District and Commission created
Section 1. The 1976 Code is amended by adding to Chapter 13 of Title 51:
Section 51-13-1610. There is created the Olde English District Commission (Commission) for the purpose of instituting and operating programs to improve, enlarge, increase and otherwise enhance tourism, recreation and, development in the counties of Chester, Chesterfield, Fairfield, Lancaster, Kershaw, Union and York (District). The Commission shall be composed of three members from each county, one to be appointed by the governing body of the county, one by the legislative delegation of the county and one by the county planning and development board or its equivalent for terms of three years and until successors are appointed and qualify. Vacancies shall be filled in the manner of the original appointment for the unexpired portion of the term.
Section 51-13-1620. The Commission shall meet as soon after the appointment of its members as may be practicable and shall organize by electing one of its members as chairman, one as vice chairman, and one as secretary-treasurer and such other officers as it may deem desirable. The Commission shall meet thereafter at times established in its bylaws or upon the call of the chairman or a majority of its members.
Section 51-13-1630. The Commission shall:
(1) Take such action as necessary to establish the District as a major center of tourism and recreation.
(2) Bring together the abilities and interests of private industry, chambers of commerce and historical and cultural interests for the purpose of developing a formal program of tourism promotion, recreation, and development.
(3) Encourage the promotion of the District through travel agencies such as (a) the South Carolina Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department; (b) visit U. S. A. Program; (c) Discover America Program; (d) any other similar agency or program.
(4) Inventory and identify potential attractions of tourist and recreation interest in the District.
(5) Establish guidelines to insure the protection of the interests of the individual citizens and environmental and cultural interests and to assure an ethical, truly representative image of the District to the tourist.
(6) Seek out, apply for, receive, process and distribute available funds and grants through agencies such as the Regional Planning and Development Councils, the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, Heritage, Conservation, and Recreation Service, and the Federal Departments of Commerce or Interior or any other similar agency or department.
(7) Adopt bylaws to carry out the purposes for which it is created."
Membership of commission
Section 2. Of the members of the Olde English District Commission first appointed, the one appointed from each county by the governing body of the county shall serve a term of three years, the one appointed by the legislative delegation of each county shall serve a term of two years and the one appointed by the county planning and development board or equivalent board of each county shall serve a term of one year and until successors are appointed and qualify.
Section 3. This act shall take effect upon the approval by the Governor.