Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Reps. Clemmons, Bedingfield, Hardwick and T.R. Young
Document Path: l:\council\bills\bbm\9708ab10.docx
Introduced in the House on April 13, 2010
Currently residing in the House Committee on Judiciary
Summary: Fee covenants
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 4/13/2010 House Introduced and read first time HJ-21 4/13/2010 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary HJ-21 4/15/2010 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Bedingfield 4/22/2010 House Recalled from Committee on Judiciary HJ-40 4/27/2010 House Requests for debate-Rep(s). Clemmons, Kennedy, Ballentine, Huggins, Frye, Hardwick, Hearn, Willlis, Hosey, GR Smith, and Bedingfield HJ-61 4/29/2010 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Hardwick 4/29/2010 House Debate adjourned until Tuesday, May 4, 2010 HJ-71 5/12/2010 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: T.R.Young 5/12/2010 House Debate adjourned until Thursday, May 13, 2010 HJ-56 5/25/2010 House Recommitted to Committee on Judiciary HJ-124
View the latest legislative information at the LPITS web site
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
April 22, 2010
S. Printed 4/22/10--H.
Read the first time April 13, 2010.
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 27-1-70 SO AS TO PROVIDE CERTAIN DEFINITIONS RELATED TO TRANSFER FEE COVENANTS, TO STATE CERTAIN FINDINGS RELATED TO TRANSFER FEE COVENANTS, TO PROVIDE A TRANSFER FEE COVENANT RECORDED AFTER THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS SECTION, OR ANY LIEN TO THE EXTENT THAT IT PURPORTS TO SECURE THE PAYMENT OF A TRANSFER FEE, IS NOT BINDING ON OR ENFORCEABLE AGAINST THE AFFECTED REAL PROPERTY OR ANY SUBSEQUENT OWNER, PURCHASER, OR MORTGAGEE OF ANY INTEREST IN THE PROPERTY, AND TO PROVIDE THE SECTION DOES NOT IMPLY THAT A TRANSFER FEE COVENANT RECORDED BEFORE THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS SECTION IS VALID OR ENFORCEABLE.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Chapter 1, Title 27 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 27-1-70. (A) As used in this section:
(1) 'Association' means a nonprofit, mandatory membership organization comprised of owners of homes, condominiums, cooperatives, manufactured homes, or any interest in real property, created pursuant to a declaration, covenant, or other applicable law.
(2) 'Transfer' means the sale, gift, grant, conveyance, assignment, inheritance, or other transfer of an interest in real property located in this State.
(3) 'Transfer fee' means a fee or charge imposed by a transfer fee covenant, but does not include any tax, assessment, fee, or charge imposed by a governmental authority pursuant to applicable laws, ordinances, or regulations.
(4) 'Transfer fee covenant' means a provision in a document, whether recorded or not and however denominated, which purports to run with the land or bind current owners or successors in title to specified real property located in this State, and which obligates a transferee or transferor of all or part of the property to pay a fee or charge to a third person upon transfer of an interest in all or part of the property, or in consideration for permitting this transfer. A 'transfer fee covenant' does not include:
(a) a provision of a purchase contract, option, mortgage, security agreement, real property listing agreement, or other agreement which obligates one party to the agreement to pay the other, as full or partial consideration for the agreement or for a waiver of rights under the agreement, an amount determined by the agreement, if that amount:
(i) is payable on a one-time basis only upon the next transfer of an interest in the specified real property and, once paid, does not bind successors in title to the property;
(ii) constitutes a loan assumption or similar fee charged by a lender holding a lien on the property; or
(iii) constitutes a fee or commission paid to a licensed real estate broker for brokerage services rendered in connection with the transfer of the property for which the fee or commission is paid;
(b) any provision in a deed, memorandum, or other document recorded for the purpose of providing record notice of an agreement described in subsection (A)(4)(a);
(c) a provision of a document requiring payment of a fee or charge to an association to be used exclusively for purposes authorized in the document if no portion of the fee is required to be passed through to a third party designated or identifiable by description in the document or another document referenced in it; or
(d) a provision of a document requiring payment of a fee or charge to an organization described in Section 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code, to be used exclusively to support cultural, educational, charitable, recreational, environmental, conservation, or other similar activities benefiting the real property affected by the provision or the community of which the property is a part.
(B) The General Assembly finds:
(1) the public policy of this State favors the transferability of interests in real property free from unreasonable restraints on alienation and covenants or servitudes that do not touch and concern the property; and
(2) a transfer fee covenant violates this public policy by impairing the marketability of title to the affected real property and constitutes an unreasonable restraint on alienation, regardless of the duration of the covenant or the amount of the transfer fee set forth in the covenant.
(C) A transfer fee covenant recorded after the effective date of this section, or a lien to the extent that it purports to secure the payment of a transfer fee, is not binding on or enforceable against the affected real property or any subsequent owner, purchaser, or mortgagee of an interest in the property.
(D) Nothing in this section may imply that a transfer fee covenant recorded before the effective date of this section is valid or enforceable."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on Monday, October 10, 2011 at 12:25 P.M.