Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
A63, R76, S127
Sponsors: Senators Alexander and Ford
Document Path: l:\s-res\tca\002trau.hm.tca.docx
Introduced in the Senate on January 8, 2013
Introduced in the House on March 5, 2013
Last Amended on May 29, 2013
Passed by the General Assembly on June 6, 2013
Governor's Action: June 13, 2013, Signed
Summary: Brain Injury Leadership Council
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 12/18/2012 Senate Prefiled 12/18/2012 Senate Referred to Committee on Medical Affairs 1/8/2013 Senate Introduced and read first time (Senate Journal-page 84) 1/8/2013 Senate Referred to Committee on Medical Affairs (Senate Journal-page 84) 2/26/2013 Senate Committee report: Favorable with amendment Medical Affairs (Senate Journal-page 11) 2/27/2013 Scrivener's error corrected 2/27/2013 Senate Committee Amendment Adopted (Senate Journal-page 31) 2/27/2013 Senate Read second time (Senate Journal-page 31) 2/27/2013 Senate Roll call Ayes-41 Nays-0 (Senate Journal-page 31) 2/28/2013 Scrivener's error corrected 2/28/2013 Senate Read third time and sent to House (Senate Journal-page 18) 3/5/2013 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 11) 3/5/2013 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary (House Journal-page 11) 5/2/2013 House Recalled from Committee on Judiciary (House Journal-page 38) 5/2/2013 House Referred to Committee on Medical, Military, Public and Municipal Affairs (House Journal-page 38) 5/22/2013 House Committee report: Favorable with amendment Medical, Military, Public and Municipal Affairs (House Journal-page 45) 5/23/2013 Scrivener's error corrected 5/28/2013 House Debate adjourned until Wed., 5-29-13 (House Journal-page 18) 5/29/2013 House Amended (House Journal-page 9) 5/29/2013 House Read second time (House Journal-page 9) 5/29/2013 House Roll call Yeas-96 Nays-8 (House Journal-page 10) 5/30/2013 House Read third time and returned to Senate with amendments (House Journal-page 33) 6/5/2013 Scrivener's error corrected 6/6/2013 Senate Concurred in House amendment and enrolled (Senate Journal-page 63) 6/6/2013 Senate Roll call Ayes-40 Nays-0 (Senate Journal-page 63) 6/11/2013 Ratified R 76 6/13/2013 Signed By Governor 6/20/2013 Effective date 06/13/13 6/24/2013 Act No. 63
View the latest legislative information at the LPITS web site
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
(A63, R76, S127)
AN ACT TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING ARTICLE 6 TO CHAPTER 38, TITLE 44 SO AS TO CREATE THE SOUTH CAROLINA BRAIN INJURY LEADERSHIP COUNCIL, TO PROVIDE FOR DUTIES OF THE COUNCIL, TO PROVIDE FOR QUALIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIP OF THE COUNCIL; AND TO REPEAL SECTION 44-20-225 RELATING TO CONSUMER ADVISORY BOARDS FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH CERTAIN INTELLECTUAL DISABILITIES AND BRAIN AND SPINAL CORD INJURIES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
South Carolina Brain Injury Leadership Council, creation, membership, and duties
SECTION 1. Chapter 38, Title 44 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
Section 44-38-610. There is created the South Carolina Brain Injury Leadership Council, within the Department of Disabilities and Special Needs, to provide statewide coordination in promoting support services to persons with brain injuries, their families, and caregivers, and to identify emerging issues and innovations, foster education and advocacy, and build consensus to support necessary policies and programs.
Section 44-38-620. The South Carolina Brain Injury Leadership Council shall:
(1) advise and make recommendations to the State on ways to improve services coordination regarding traumatic brain injury;
(2) encourage citizen participation through the establishment of public hearings and other types of community outreach programs;
(3) identify emerging issues and expand methods and resources to enhance statewide services;
(4) serve as a resource for education, research, and training and provide information and referral services;
(5) provide technical assistance for the development of support groups and other local initiatives to serve individuals, families, and caregivers;
(6) consult with federal, state, and local government agencies and with citizens' groups and other private entities to recommend public policy concerning brain injuries to state policymakers; and
(7) serve as the statewide advisory board for implementing the federal Traumatic Brain Injury Act and applying for federal traumatic brain injury funding.
Section 44-38-630. (A) The members of the South Carolina Brain Injury Leadership Council should have knowledge or expertise in the area of brain injury or related services. The council shall be comprised of representatives of the following agencies and organizations, shall be appointed by the director of the agency or organization and shall serve ex officio:
(1) South Carolina Department of Education;
(2) South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services;
(3) South Carolina Department of Mental Health;
(4) South Carolina Department of Social Services;
(5) South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control;
(6) South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department;
(7) South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs;
(8) Head and Spinal Cord Injury Division within the South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs;
(9) Medical University of South Carolina;
(10) University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities within the University of South Carolina School of Medicine;
(11) South Carolina Statewide Independent Living Council;
(12) South Carolina Developmental Disabilities Council;
(13) Protection and Advocacy for People with Disabilities, Inc.; and
(14) Brain Injury Association of South Carolina.
(B) Council members shall include persons who are survivors of traumatic brain injury, family members or legal guardians of these persons, health care professionals, representatives of service provider entities, or other interested parties knowledgeable about brain injuries. Membership shall meet requirements of the State Advisory Board designated by the federal Traumatic Brain Injury Act.
(C) Officers of the council shall be as follows: chairperson, vice chairperson, and secretary. Council officers are to be elected at the final quarterly council meeting of the year, and shall serve a two year term starting the next calendar year.
(D) Council members shall be appointed with consideration given to statewide geographic and demographic representation. When an appointed vacancy on the council exists, nominations to fill the vacancy may be received from members of the council by the secretary.
(E) Members and officers of the council are not entitled to mileage, per diem, subsistence, or any other form of compensation.
Section 44-38-640. The South Carolina Brain Injury Leadership Council shall have the authority to apply for grants for the purposes of carrying out the responsibilities and duties of the council."
Repeal of section
SECTION 2. Section 44-20-225 is repealed.
SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Ratified the 11th day of June, 2013.
Approved the 13th day of June, 2013.
This web page was last updated on Friday, August 16, 2013 at 12:14 P.M.