Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
A19, R28, S344
Sponsors: Senator Corbin
Document Path: l:\s-res\tdc\002auti.dmr.tdc.docx
Introduced in the Senate on February 1, 2017
Introduced in the House on March 13, 2017
Last Amended on April 27, 2017
Passed by the General Assembly on May 3, 2017
Governor's Action: May 9, 2017, Signed
Summary: Driver's license or permit
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2/1/2017 Senate Introduced and read first time (Senate Journal-page 19) 2/1/2017 Senate Referred to Committee on Transportation (Senate Journal-page 19) 3/2/2017 Senate Committee report: Favorable with amendment Transportation (Senate Journal-page 12) 3/8/2017 Senate Committee Amendment Adopted (Senate Journal-page 34) 3/8/2017 Senate Amended (Senate Journal-page 34) 3/8/2017 Senate Roll call Ayes-39 Nays-0 (Senate Journal-page 34) 3/9/2017 Senate Read third time and sent to House (Senate Journal-page 21) 3/13/2017 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 18) 3/13/2017 House Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 18) 4/26/2017 House Recalled from Committee on Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 10) 4/27/2017 House Amended (House Journal-page 22) 4/27/2017 House Read second time (House Journal-page 22) 4/27/2017 House Roll call Yeas-93 Nays-1 (House Journal-page 23) 4/27/2017 House Unanimous consent for third reading on next legislative day (House Journal-page 24) 4/28/2017 House Read third time and returned to Senate with amendments (House Journal-page 2) 5/3/2017 Senate Concurred in House amendment and enrolled (Senate Journal-page 63) 5/4/2017 Ratified R 28 5/9/2017 Signed By Governor 5/12/2017 Effective date 5/9/17 5/15/2017 Act No. 19
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
(A19, R28, S344)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-80, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE CONTENTS OF AN APPLICATION FOR A DRIVER'S LICENSE OR PERMIT, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT AN APPLICATION FOR A DRIVER'S LICENSE OR PERMIT MUST ALLOW AN APPLICANT WHO HAS BEEN MEDICALLY DIAGNOSED WITH AUTISM TO VOLUNTARILY DISCLOSE THAT HE IS AUTISTIC, WHICH MUST BE INDICATED BY A SYMBOL DESIGNATED BY THE DEPARTMENT ON THE DRIVER'S LICENSE AND CONTAINED IN THE DRIVER'S RECORD; AND TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-3350, AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE ISSUANCE OF SPECIAL IDENTIFICATION CARDS BY THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT AN APPLICANT FOR A SPECIAL IDENTIFICATION CARD WHO WISHES TO OBTAIN A CARD THAT INDICATES THAT HE IS AUTISTIC MUST PROVIDE DOCUMENTATION OF HIS CONDITION WHICH MUST BE INDICATED BY A SYMBOL DESIGNATED BY THE DEPARTMENT ON HIS SPECIAL IDENTIFICATION CARD.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Autism designation placed on a driver's license
SECTION 1. Section 56-1-80(A) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 277 of 2010, is further amended to read:
"Section 56-1-80. (A) An application for a driver's license or permit must:
(1) be made upon the form furnished by the department;
(2) be accompanied by the proper fee and acceptable proof of date and place of birth;
(3) contain the full name, date of birth, sex, race, and residence address of the applicant and briefly describe the applicant;
(4) state whether the applicant has been licensed as an operator or chauffeur and, if so, when and by what state or country;
(5) state whether a license or permit has been suspended or revoked or whether an application has been refused and, if so, the date of and reason for the suspension, revocation, or refusal;
(6) allow an applicant voluntarily to disclose a permanent medical condition, which must be indicated by a symbol designated by the department on the driver's license and contained in the driver's record;
(7) allow an applicant voluntarily to disclose that he is an organ and tissue donor, which must be indicated by a symbol designated by the department on the driver's license and contained in the driver's record; and
(8) allow an applicant voluntarily to disclose that he is autistic, which must be indicated by a symbol designated by the department on the driver's license and contained in the driver's record. The applicant must provide documentation that he is autistic from a physician licensed in this State, as defined in Section 40-47-20(35)."
Autism designation placed on a special identification card
SECTION 2. Section 56-1-3350(A) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 147 of 2012, is further amended to read:
"Section 56-1-3350. (A) Upon application by a person five years of age or older, who is a resident of South Carolina, the department shall issue a special identification card as long as the:
(1) application is made on a form approved and furnished by the department;
(2) applicant presents to the person issuing the identification card a birth certificate or other evidence acceptable to the department of his name and date of birth; and
(3) applicant, who wishes to obtain a special identification card that indicates the applicant is autistic, complies with subsections (A)(1) and (2) and provides documentation that he is autistic from a physician licensed in this State, as defined in Section 40-47-20(35). The special identification requested must be indicated by a symbol designated by the department on the person's special identification card."
SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Ratified the 4th day of May, 2017.
Approved the 9th day of May, 2017.
This web page was last updated on May 18, 2017 at 12:28 PM