Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Rep. Huggins
Document Path: l:\council\bills\agm\19159wab17.docx
Introduced in the House on March 30, 2017
Last Amended on February 21, 2018
Currently residing in the House
Summary: Military Priority Registration Act
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 3/30/2017 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 86) 3/30/2017 House Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 86) 2/15/2018 House Committee report: Favorable with amendment Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 50) 2/16/2018 Scrivener's error corrected 2/21/2018 House Amended 2/21/2018 House Read second time 2/21/2018 House Roll call Yeas-107 Nays-2
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
February 21, 2018
S. Printed 2/21/18--H.
Read the first time March 30, 2017.
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, SO AS TO ENACT THE "MILITARY PRIORITY REGISTRATION ACT"; AND BY ADDING SECTION 59-103-37 SO AS TO PROVIDE PRIORITY COURSE ENROLLMENT FOR MILITARY-RELATED STUDENTS, AND TO DEFINE NECESSARY TERMINOLOGY.
Amend Title To Conform
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. This act must be known and may be cited as the "Military Priority Registration Act".
SECTION 2. Article 1, Chapter 103, Title 59 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 59-103-37. (A) For purposes of this section:
(1) 'Military-related students' are defined as:
(a) active-duty members of the uniformed services;
(c) members of the South Carolina National Guard; and
(d) veterans of the uniformed services, with the exception of those separated through:
(i) general discharge under other than honorable conditions;
(ii) bad conduct discharge; or
(iii) dishonorable discharge.
(2) 'Professional careers' mean courses of study that prepare a student for a particular occupation or profession.
(B) Public institutions of higher learning shall give enrollment priority to military-related students as provided in this section.
(C) To demonstrate eligibility for priority course enrollment, a student must submit both the military priority enrollment request form and proof of military-related status to the registrar's office. Materials may be submitted in person, via email, fax, or postal mail. Any of the following are sufficient to document proof of military-related status:
(1) DD Form 214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty;
(2) DD Form 256 - Honorable Discharge Certificate;
(3) WD AGO - Enlistment Record;
(4) military orders;
(5) military identification card; or
(6) veteran identification card issued in South Carolina.
(D)(1) To demonstrate eligibility for the ensuing:
(a) summer session or fall semester, documentation must be received before March first; and
(b) January term or spring semester, documentation must be received by October first.
(2) These deadlines apply to students in the undergraduate, graduate, and professional careers.
(E) For the purposes of this section, the following constitutes priority course enrollment for the fall and spring semesters:
(1) for the undergraduate career, second, third and fourth-year students are assigned priority enrollment appointment dates within their class year;
(2) for the graduate career, students are assigned enrollment appointment dates one day before other students within the graduate career;
(3) for the professional careers, eligible students may request priority enrollment for graduation requirement courses; and
(4) for January term and summer session, military-related students are assigned enrollment appointment dates in the first enrollment group."
SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 7:25 PM