Answers to June 2011 Feature of the Month Questions
1. There are 46 Counties in South Carolina.
2. Calhoun County is named for John C. Calhoun, who served as United States Vice President.
3. Walhalla is the County Seat of Oconee County.
4. Moncks Corner is the County Seat of Berkeley County.
5. The largest county in the State in land area is Horry County.
6. Lexington County is named for the battle of Lexington, Massachusetts, the site of the first shot of the American Revolution.
7. Allendale County was formed in 1919 and is the youngest South Carolina County.
8. Georgetown County is named for King George II of England.
9. Gaffney is the County Seat of Cherokee County.
10. Marion County is named for Francis Marion, Revolutionary War General, who was known as the Swamp Fox.
For additional information regarding the above questions, as well as information on all 46 Counties, visit our Feature of the Month Archives page.
Return to our What's happening page.