Current StatusView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
Bill Number: 432 Ratification Number: 126 Act Number 88 Introducing Body: Senate Subject: State Board of Education on implementing the Education Improvement Act of 1984
(A88, R126, S432)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 59-6-10, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE SELECT COMMITTEE WHICH MAKES RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION ON IMPLEMENTING THE EDUCATION IMPROVEMENT ACT OF 1984, SO AS TO DELETE THE PROVISIONS REQUIRING THE STATE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION TO REPORT ANNUALLY TO THE COMMITTEE ON MANAGEMENT RECOMMENDATIONS TO SCHOOL DISTRICTS AND ON THEIR RESPONSES TO THE RECOMMENDATIONS AND CHANGE THE DATE UPON WHICH THE COMMITTEE SHALL SUBMIT FINDINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY FROM BEFORE JANUARY FIRST TO BEFORE MARCH FIRST OF EACH FISCAL YEAR.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Appointment and duties of the Select Committee
SECTION 1. Section 59-6-10 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 59-6-10. In order to assist in, recommend, and supervise the expenditure of funds for the Education Improvement Act of 1984, there is created a Select Committee to make recommendations to the State Board of Education on implementing the provisions of the Education Improvement Act.
The committee consists of the following persons:
(1) Speaker of the House of Representatives or his designee and a member of the House of Representatives appointed by Speaker;
(2) Lieutenant Governor or his designee and a member of the Senate appointed by the Lieutenant Governor;
(3) Chairman of the Education and Public Works Committee of the House of Representatives or his designee;
(4) Chairman of the Education Committee of the Senate or his designee
(5) State Superintendent of Education or his designee;
(6) Chairman of the Commission on Higher Education or his designee;
(7) Governor or his designee and a member appointed by the Governor;
(8) Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee of the House of Representatives or his designee;
(9) Chairman of the Finance Committee of the Senate or his designee;
A member of the General Assembly shall serve as chairman.
Members of the committee shall meet no less than once a quarter and annually shall submit their findings and recommendations to the General Assembly before March first of each fiscal year."
Section 2. This act shall take effect upon approval by the Governor.