Current Status Introducing Body:
HouseBill Number: 3752Primary Sponsor: AltmanCommittee Number: 02Type of Legislation: GBSubject: Motor vehicle liability insurance coverageResiding Body: SenateCurrent Committee: Banking and InsuranceComputer Document Number: DKA/3175.ALIntroduced Date: Mar 28, 1991Last History Body: SenateLast History Date: Feb 06, 1992Last History Type: Committed to CommitteeScope of Legislation: StatewideAll Sponsors: AltmanType of Legislation: General Bill
Bill Body Date Action Description CMN ---- ------ ------------ ------------------------------ --- 3752 Senate Feb 06, 1992 Committed to Committee 02 3752 Senate Feb 05, 1992 Committee Report: Favorable 15 3752 Senate Apr 25, 1991 Introduced, read first time, 15 referred to Committee 3752 House Apr 25, 1991 Read third time, sent to Senate 3752 House Apr 24, 1991 Read second time 3752 House Apr 17, 1991 Committee Report: Favorable 26 3752 House Mar 28, 1991 Introduced, read first time, 26 referred to CommitteeView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
February 5, 1992
S. Printed 2/5/92--S.
Read the first time April 25, 1991.
To whom was referred a Bill (H. 3752), to amend Section 56-1-80, Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976, relating to application for license or permit, etc., respectfully
That they have duly and carefully considered the same, and recommend that the same do pass:
ISADORE E. LOURIE, for Committee.
TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-80, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO APPLICATION FOR LICENSE OR PERMIT, SO AS TO DELETE THE REQUIREMENT OF WRITTEN VERIFICATION OF LIABILITY INSURANCE COVERAGE FOR RENEWAL.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 56-1-80 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 56-1-80. Every application for a driver's license or permit must:
(1) be made upon the form furnished by the department;
(2) be accompanied by the proper fee, and acceptable proof of date and place of birth;
(3) contain the full name, date of birth, sex, race, and residence address of the applicant and briefly describe the applicant;
(4) state whether the applicant has been licensed as an operator or chauffeur and, if so, when and by what state or country; and
(5) state whether any such license has ever been suspended or revoked or whether an application has ever been refused and, if so, the date of and reason for such suspension, revocation, or refusal. Whenever application is received from a person previously licensed in another state, the department shall request a copy of the applicant's record from the other state. When received, the record becomes a part of the driver's record in this State with the same force and effect as though entered on the operator's record in this State in the original instance. Every A person who obtains a beginner's permit for the first time or is issued a driver's license for the first time in South Carolina, and every person who renews his driver's license in South Carolina must be furnished a written request form for completion and verification of liability insurance coverage.
The completed and verified form or an affidavit prepared by the department that neither he, nor any resident relative, owns a motor vehicle subject to the provisions of this chapter, must be returned to the department within thirty days from the date the license is issued or renewed. Failure to return the form or affidavit results in the suspension of the newly issued or renewed driver's license until a properly executed form or affidavit is returned to the department."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.