Current Status Introducing Body:
HouseBill Number: 3753Primary Sponsor: AltmanCommittee Number: 15Type of Legislation: GBSubject: Driver's license suspensionResiding Body: SenateCurrent Committee: TransportationComputer Document Number: DKA/3172.ALIntroduced Date: Mar 28, 1991Date of Last Amendment: May 22, 1991Last History Body: SenateLast History Date: May 27, 1991Last History Type: Introduced, read first time, referred to CommitteeScope of Legislation: StatewideAll Sponsors: AltmanType of Legislation: General Bill
Bill Body Date Action Description CMN ---- ------ ------------ ------------------------------ --- 3753 Senate May 27, 1991 Introduced, read first time, 15 referred to Committee 3753 House May 23, 1991 Read third time, sent to Senate 3753 House May 22, 1991 Amended, read second time 3753 House May 14, 1991 Debate adjourned until Tuesday, May 21 3753 House May 09, 1991 Debate adjourned until Tuesday, May 14 3753 House May 08, 1991 Debate adjourned until Thursday, May 9 3753 House Apr 25, 1991 Committee Report: Favorable 21 3753 House Mar 28, 1991 Introduced, read first time, 21 referred to CommitteeView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
May 22, 1991
S. Printed 5/22/91--H.
Read the first time March 28, 1991.
TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-40, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO PERSONS WHO SHALL NOT BE LICENSED, SO AS TO ADD PERSONS WHOSE DRIVING PRIVILEGE IS SUBJECT TO BE SUSPENDED.
Amend Title To Conform
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 56-1-40 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 56-1-40. The department shall not issue any a motor vehicle driver's license under this article to a person:
(1) Any person who is under sixteen years of age, except that the department may issue a beginner's or instruction permit as provided in Sections 56-1-50 and 56-1-60 to any a person who is at least fifteen years of age and except that the department may issue a special restricted driver's license to any a person who is at least fifteen years old and less than sixteen years as provided in Section 56-1-180;
(2) Any person whose license is currently under suspension or revocation either in this State or any other jurisdiction has been suspended during such suspension or any a person whose license has been revoked, except as otherwise provided for in this article not yet been suspended or revoked but who has been convicted of an offense in this State or any other jurisdiction that would authorize the suspension or revocation of his driver's license;
(3) Any person who is an habitual drunkard, an habitual user of narcotic drugs, or an habitual user of any other drug to a degree which renders him incapable of safely driving a motor vehicle;
(4) Any person who has previously been adjudged to be afflicted with or suffering from any mental disability or mental disease and who has not at the time of application been restored to competency by methods provided by law;
(5) Any person who is required by this article to take an examination, unless such the person shall have has successfully passed such the examination;
(6) Any person who is required under the laws of this State to deposit proof of financial responsibility and who has not deposited such the proof; or
(7) Any other person who may not be issued a license as otherwise provided by the laws of this State."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.