Current Status Bill Number:
1278Ratification Number: 371Act Number: 337Type of Legislation: General Bill GBIntroducing Body: SenateIntroduced Date: 19960321Primary Sponsor: HollandAll Sponsors: HollandDrafted Document Number: gjk\22523sd.96Date Bill Passed both Bodies: 19960503Governor's Action: SDate of Governor's Action: 19960520Subject: Prosecution Coordination Commission
Body Date Action Description Com Leg Involved ______ ________ _______________________________________ _______ ____________ ------ 19960530 Act No. A337 ------ 19960520 Signed by Governor ------ 19960514 Ratified R371 House 19960503 Read third time, enrolled for ratification House 19960502 Read second time, unanimous consent for third reading on the next Legislative day House 19960501 Committee report: Favorable 25 HJ House 19960409 Introduced, read first time, 25 HJ referred to Committee Senate 19960408 Read third time, sent to House Senate 19960404 Read second time, unanimous consent for third reading on Monday, 19960408 Senate 19960403 Committee report: Favorable 11 SJ Senate 19960321 Introduced, read first time, 11 SJ referred to CommitteeView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
(A337, R371, S1278)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 1-7-920, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE COMMISSION ON PROSECUTION COORDINATION, SO AS TO DELETE THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE SOUTH CAROLINA CRIMINAL JUSTICE ACADEMY AS A MEMBER OF THE COMMISSION, AND TO PROVIDE THAT THE DIRECTOR OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY SHALL SERVE AS A MEMBER OF THE COMMISSION IN HIS PLACE.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 1-7-920 of the 1976 Code, as added by Act 485 of 1990, is amended to read:
"Section 1-7-920. The commission is composed of the following persons for terms as indicated:
(1) the Chairmen of the Senate and House Judiciary Committees for the terms for which they are elected or their legislative designees;
(2) the Chief of the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division for the term for which he is appointed;
(3) the Director of the Department of Public Safety shall serve during the term for which he is appointed;
(4) a director of a Judicial Circuit Pretrial Intervention Program appointed by the Governor for a term of two years;
(5) a Judicial Circuit Victim-Witness Assistance Advocate appointed by the Governor for a term of two years;
(6) five judicial circuit solicitors appointed by the Governor for a term of four years. However, upon initial appointment, the Governor shall select one for a two-year term, two for a three-year term, and two for a four-year term. If a solicitor appointed to the commission is not re-elected, a vacancy occurs and it must be filled pursuant to the provisions of Section 1-7-930."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Approved the 20th day of May, 1996.