South Carolina General Assembly
111th Session, 1995-1996

Bill 4938

Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter

                    Current Status

Bill Number:                       4938
Type of Legislation:               Concurrent Resolution CR
Introducing Body:                  House
Introduced Date:                   19960411
Primary Sponsor:                   Govan
All Sponsors:                      Govan, Cobb-Hunter, Sharpe,
                                   Felder and Stuart 
Drafted Document Number:           bbm\10764jm.96
Date Bill Passed both Bodies:      19960416
Subject:                           Central United Methodist Church,
                                   Orangeburg County


Body    Date      Action Description                       Com     Leg Involved
______  ________  _______________________________________  _______ ____________

House   19960416  Received from Senate
Senate  19960416  Introduced, adopted, returned
                  with concurrence
House   19960411  Introduced, adopted, sent to Senate

View additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.

(Text matches printed bills. Document has been reformatted to meet World Wide Web specifications.)



Whereas, in 1896 in the Town of Rowesville in Orangeburg County, a dedicated group of African-Americans established a place where they could worship God in peace and harmony; it was under the leadership of the late Reverend S. S. Lawton, who served as the group's pastor and minister, that the church, initially a prayer group, was founded; in the latter part of 1896, the land for the church was donated by Reverend Lawton; a few years later, the group began to build a church and it was called Lawton Center Methodist Church; and

Whereas, by 1899 more than one hundred fifty members were added to the church; in the mid 1920's the Rowesville Charge was organized; it consisted of three additional churches namely, Cedar Grove, Forest Chapel, and Prospect; after worshiping in the frame building for more than forty years the church was partially destroyed by fire in 1954; the members continued to worship in the partially burned church until sufficient funds had been raised to begin a new edifice; two years later in 1956, under the leadership of the late Reverend Fulton Edwards, the present church, Central United Methodist Church, began; and in 1957 the members marched into this church which stands today; and

Whereas, the church, for one hundred years, has reached out to those who yearn for salvation and closeness with God; the members and the ministers have provided a rich heritage and legacy of caring, love, spirit, and truth; and

Whereas, we are greatly pleased to have this opportunity to recognize such an outstanding church and congregation on so important an anniversary. Now, therefore,

Be it resolved by the House of Representatives, the Senate concurring:

That the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina, by this resolution, congratulates Central United Methodist Church of Orangeburg County on the joyous occasion of its one hundredth anniversary.

Be it further resolved that a copy of this resolution be forwarded to the congregation of Central United Methodist Church at Rowesville.