Current Status Bill Number:
3860Type of Legislation: General Bill GBIntroducing Body: HouseIntroduced Date: 19970409Primary Sponsor: BeckAll Sponsors: BeckDrafted Document Number: psd\7210ac.97Residing Body: SenateCurrent Committee: Transportation Committee 15 STDate of Last Amendment: 19980318Subject: Drivers license application, permanent medical condition may be indicated by symbol on; Motor Vehicles
Body Date Action Description Com Leg Involved ______ ________ _______________________________________ _______ ____________ Senate 19980324 Introduced, read first time, 15 ST referred to Committee House 19980319 Read third time, sent to Senate House 19980318 Amended, read second time House 19980312 Committee report: Favorable with 21 HEPW amendment House 19970409 Introduced, read first time, 21 HEPW referred to CommitteeView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
March 18, 1998
S. Printed 3/18/98--H.
Read the first time April 9, 1997.
TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-80, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO APPLICATIONS FOR DRIVERS' LICENSES AND PERMITS, SO AS TO REQUIRE THE APPLICATION TO ALLOW THE APPLICANT TO DISCLOSE A PERMANENT MEDICAL CONDITION WHICH MUST BE INDICATED BY A SYMBOL ON THE LICENSE AND CONTAINED IN THE DRIVER'S RECORD.
Amend Title To Conform
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 56-1-80 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 459 of 1996, is further amended to read:
"Section 56-1-80. Every application for a driver's license or permit must:
(1) be made upon the form furnished by the department;
(2) be accompanied by the proper fee and acceptable proof of date and place of birth;
(3) contain the full name, date of birth, sex, race, and residence address of the applicant and briefly describe the applicant;
(4) state whether the applicant has been licensed as an operator or chauffeur and, if so, when and by what state or country; and
(5) state whether a license or permit has been suspended or revoked or whether an application has been refused and, if so, the date of and reason for the suspension, revocation, or refusal.;
(6) allow an applicant voluntarily to disclose a permanent medical condition which must be indicated by a symbol designated by the department on the driver's license and contained in the driver's record;
(7) allow an applicant voluntarily to disclose that he is an organ donor which must be indicated by a symbol designated by the department on the driver's license and contained in the driver's record.
Whenever an application is received from a person previously licensed or permitted in another state, the Department of Public Safety, may request a copy of the applicant's record from the other state. When received, the record becomes a part of the driver's record in this State with the same effect as though entered on the operator's record in this State in the original instance. Every person who obtains a driver's license or permit for the first time in South Carolina and every person who renews his driver's license or permit in South Carolina must be furnished a written request form for completion and verification of liability insurance coverage.
The completed and verified form or an affidavit prepared by the department that neither he, nor a resident relative, owns a motor vehicle subject to the provisions of this chapter, must be completed and delivered to the department at the time the license or permit is issued or renewed."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.