Current Status Bill Number:
4877Type of Legislation: General Bill GBIntroducing Body: HouseIntroduced Date: 19980324Primary Sponsor: SharpeAll Sponsors: Sharpe, Kirsh, G. Brown, Cooper and BeckDrafted Document Number: PSD\7302AC.98Residing Body: HouseCurrent Committee: Medical, Military, Public and Municipal Affairs Committee 27 H3MSubject: Cosmetology, cosmetologists; continuing education program administered by Technical Education Board
Body Date Action Description Com Leg Involved ______ ________ _______________________________________ _______ ____________ House 19980324 Introduced, read first time, 27 H3M referred to CommitteeView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 40-13-253 SO AS TO REQUIRE THE STATE BOARD OF TECHNICAL EDUCATION TO ADMINISTER A CONTINUING EDUCATION PROGRAM FOR COSMETOLOGISTS AND TO PROVIDE FOR THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BOARD AND TO REQUIRE THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR, LICENSING AND REGULATION TO PROMULGATE REGULATIONS PERTAINING TO COURSE PROVIDERS, INSTRUCTORS AND CONTENT.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. The 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 40-13-253. (A) The State Technical Education Board shall administer a program providing the continuing education required under this chapter including:
(1) providing classroom and other physical facilities;
(2) providing for registration and collecting course fees;
(3) providing personnel for sign-in and monitoring of courses;
(4) providing a certificate of completion to attendees;
(5) maintaining a permanent record of courses and attendance;
(6) providing the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation with information necessary to credit licensees with continuing education credit in electronic format;
(7) providing evaluation forms to students and compiling reports on returned evaluations;
(8) establishing a schedule of fees to be charged to providers for the services rendered;
(9) establishing policies needed for the operation of the program, including but not limited to, refund policies and on-site registration.
(B) The Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation shall establish in regulation the criteria for:
(1) course providers that are not unfairly exclusive or restrictive; these regulations may not require course providers to be members of any association or group;
(2) qualifications for course instructors;
(3) course content which must:
(a) be designed to expand and enhance the skills and knowledge of the licensee;
(b) cover any changes to the laws or regulations in the past year;
(c) include information on safety and sanitation.
(C) Licensees living outside of South Carolina and not currently working in South Carolina may satisfy their continuing education requirement in South Carolina by completing continuing education courses that meet the requirements of the State in which they are practicing."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.