Current Status Bill Number:
5164Type of Legislation: Concurrent Resolution CRIntroducing Body: HouseIntroduced Date: 19980520Primary Sponsor: YoungAll Sponsors: Young and WoodrumDrafted Document Number: kgh\15654ac.98Date Bill Passed both Bodies: 19980520Subject: First Presbyterian Church of Sumter, Resolutions
Body Date Action Description Com Leg Involved ______ ________ _______________________________________ _______ ____________ House 19980520 Received from Senate Senate 19980520 Introduced, adopted, returned with concurrence House 19980520 Introduced, adopted, sent to SenateView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
TO RECOGNIZE AND CONGRATULATE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF SUMTER UPON THE CELEBRATION OF ITS ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY-FIFTH ANNIVERSARY.
Whereas, the First Presbyterian Church of Sumter is celebrating its one hundred seventy-fifth anniversary; and
Whereas, on May 29, 1823, the Presbytery of Harmony met in Sumterville, South Carolina, and organized, with five charter members, the Presbyterian church and ordained and instilled ruling elders and Mr. Isaac R. Barbour as evangelist; and
Whereas, the organization of the church was made possible through the efforts of Mr. Barbour who preached two Sundays a month, meeting the first year at members' homes, at the Baptist church, and at the county courthouse; and
Whereas, the first member received by the session after the organization of the church was Milly, a servant of a founding member; and
Whereas, following Mr. Barbour's departure, the church retained its pews in the local Baptist church and for the next two years worshiped with that congregation; and
Whereas, in 1826, Reverend John Harrington became the first pastor of the church, serving for three years and alternating Sundays between Sumterville and Mount Zion, during which time twenty-seven persons became members of the church; and
Whereas, the Reverend John McEwen was pastor from 1829 to 1833, and the first church building was erected in 1830; and
Whereas, in 1833, Reverend R. W. Bailey was called as Stated Supply and served the church for one year; and
Whereas, between 1834 and 1836, the church experienced difficult times, losing two very prominent families who moved from the State and suffering political differences among various members; and
Whereas, in 1837, Dr. Donald MacQueen, Sr., answered the call to pastor this church, sharing his time with the Concord Church until 1850 when he became the church's first full-time pastor; and
Whereas, the first Board of Deacons was elected in 1858; however, growth and progress in the church slowed during the period of reconstruction though still under the devout leadership of Dr. MacQueen until 1879; and
Whereas, during Dr. MacQueen's pastorate, 278 members were added to the church which continued to grow and prosper with four hundred four members being added during the pastorate of Dr. N. W. Edmunds from 1880 to 1905; and
Whereas, in 1906, Dr. J. P. Marion became the pastor and served until 1928, overseeing the erection of the present church building in 1907 and a Sunday School building in 1918; and
Whereas, the Reverend John Miller Wells was called to the pastorate in 1924, bringing a strong belief in outreach which resulted in four Sunday School outposts becoming the thriving congregations of Fraser Memorial Presbyterian Church, Lemira Presbyterian Church, Pitts Memorial Presbyterian Church, and Holy Cross Presbyterian Church; and
Whereas, from 1946 to 1951, the Reverend Richard Randall Potter was pastor and during his ministry considerable renovation was undertaken on the sanctuary of the church; and
Whereas, the Reverend Cliff Hill McLeod served as pastor from 1951 through the sesquicentennial observance of First Presbyterian and retired in 1978; and
Whereas, Dr. Jefferson K. Aiken, Jr., was called to the pastorate in 1980, serving until 1992, overseeing the extensive reconstruction and renovation of the church as a result of Hurricane Hugo in 1989; and
Whereas, First Presbyterian's current pastor, Dr. Edward A. McLeod, Jr., became pastor in 1995 and ministers to approximately one thousand two hundred members, with a total membership since 1823 of over five thousand members; and
Whereas, over the history of First Presbyterian, the church has grown and has toiled with the utmost dedication and care to proclaim its Christian mission; and
Whereas, First Presbyterian Church has meant a great deal to the town of Sumter, formerly Sumterville, and to Sumter County for many, many generations and today flourishes as a beacon of hope and good will; and
Whereas, the members of the General Assembly are greatly pleased to have the opportunity to recognize First Presbyterian on the joyful occasion of its one hundred seventy-fifth anniversary. Now, therefore,
Be it resolved by the House of Representatives, the Senate concurring:
That the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina, by this resolution, recognizes and congratulates First Presbyterian Church of Sumter upon the celebration of its one hundred seventy-fifth anniversary.
Be it further resolved that a copy of this resolution be forwarded to the Session and congregation of First Presbyterian Church, in care of the church's pastor, Dr. Edward A. McLeod, Jr.