Current Status Bill Number:
5199Type of Legislation: Concurrent Resolution CRIntroducing Body: HouseIntroduced Date: 19980527Primary Sponsor: GovanAll Sponsors: GovanDrafted Document Number: dka\3015mm.98Date Bill Passed both Bodies: 19980527Subject: St. Paul's United Methodist Church of Orangeburg, Resolutions
Body Date Action Description Com Leg Involved ______ ________ _______________________________________ _______ ____________ House 19980527 Received from Senate Senate 19980527 Introduced, adopted, returned with concurrence House 19980527 Introduced, adopted, sent to SenateView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
RECOGNIZING ST. PAUL'S UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF ORANGEBURG ON THE OCCASION OF THE CENTENNIAL OBSERVANCE OF THE BUILDING OF ITS PRESENT SANCTUARY, A LANDMARK FIXTURE ON THE SQUARE IN DOWNTOWN ORANGEBURG.
Whereas, the sanctuary building of St. Paul's United Methodist Church was dedicated at services held on Sunday, January 2, 1898; and
Whereas, the congregation housed in that landmark fixture on the square in downtown Orangeburg began its centennial observance on Sunday, January 4, 1998; and
Whereas, the celebration honors a devout history of Methodism in general and St. Paul's Church of Orangeburg, specifically; and
Whereas, before the year 1790, there was no organization, common bonds of special doctrines, or discipline for Methodism, only mutually agreed to habits and usages, and early teachings were made through itinerate lay preachers; and
Whereas, the first Methodist church building in Orangeburg was constructed on the present site of St. Paul's in 1836. Even though Methodism had been active, that was the first evidence of a church building in the city of Orangeburg; and
Whereas, the congregation outgrew this first building, and a new building was dedicated at a dedication ceremony on July 22, 1860. Union troops occupied the second church building in 1865 and caused considerable damage to its interior; and
Whereas, the membership in the congregation grew from 41 in 1851 to 106 by 1871; and by 1892, the membership stood at 425, severely overtaxing the 1860 facility; and
Whereas, it was resolved in 1893 "to build a new church on the same lot on which St. Paul's now stands". Mr. W. L. Glaze was then appointed as the chairman of the building committee for this grand new church. Other members of the committee were The Reverend C. B. Smith, the current pastor, Andrew C. Dibble, Joseph P. Harley, George W. Brunson, John W. Fairey, and James L. Sims. The committee procured the plans for the new sanctuary through the Atlanta architectural firm of Golucke and Stewart, but due to the financial panic throughout the United States at the time, determined it best not to proceed any further; and
Whereas, in January, 1896, the then pastor, The Reverend E. O. Watson, called for a meeting of the original building committee, which submitted a new financial plan for raising the necessary funds for construction and to which the following members were added: Dr. A. S. Hydrick, Dr. J. G. Wannamaker, I. W. Bowman, Daniel H. Marchant, John A. Zeigler, W. Hampton Dukes, J. S. Albergotti, A. McQueen Salley, J. Frederick Brunson as secretary, and Frederick S. Dibble as treasurer; and
Whereas, the old church building, without its basement, was moved to the northeast corner of the church lot and for about five weeks, until the old church could be made usable again, church services were held in the county courthouse, which then was located on the town square; and
Whereas, the ladies of St. Paul's were the backbone of the fundraising efforts during the two years of construction of the new church building, constantly conducting fundraisers such as bazaars, ice cream and cake socials, straw rides, dinners, and oyster roasts; and
Whereas, after the completion of all construction, dedication of the new sanctuary was held on Sunday, January 2, 1898, led by Bishop W. W. Duncan; and
Whereas, the imposing edifice and the members who worship there have been physical and spiritual influences on the city of Orangeburg for one hundred years. Now, therefore,
Be it resolved by the House of Representatives, the Senate concurring:
That the members of the General Assembly recognize St. Paul's United Methodist Church of Orangeburg on the occasion of the centennial observance of the building of its present sanctuary, a landmark fixture on the square in downtown Orangeburg.
Be it further resolved that a copy of this resolution be forwarded to Dr. W. Eugene Atkinson, II, Church Historian, on behalf of St. Paul's United Methodist Church.