Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Current Status Bill Number:View additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
4807Type of Legislation: General Bill GBIntroducing Body: HouseIntroduced Date: 20000322Primary Sponsor: ParksAll Sponsors: ParksDrafted Document Number: l:\council\bills\ggs\22557cm00.docResiding Body: HouseCurrent Committee: Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Com 20 HANRSubject: Motorboats on J. Strom Thurmond Lake, restrictions provided for, penalties; WatercraftHistory Body Date Action Description Com Leg Involved ______ ________ ______________________________________ _______ ____________ House 20000322 Introduced, read first time, 20 HANR referred to Committee Versions of This Bill
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING ARTICLE 14 TO CHAPTER 25, TITLE 50, SO AS TO PROVIDE RESTRICTIONS FOR MOTORBOATS ON J. STROM THURMOND LAKE AND PROVIDE PENALTIES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Chapter 25, Title 50 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
Section 50-25-1410. A motorboat operating upon waters on J. Strom Thurmond Lake between United States Highway 378 and the Hugenot Parkway shall comply with the following noise control requirements:
(1) Motorboats with inboard-outboard propulsion machinery shall exhaust through the propeller.
(2) Inboard motorboats with V-drive-jets or propeller propulsion machinery with exhaust through the transom must be water-cooled with a steady stream of water or exhaust underwater while under way or exhaust through an automotive-sealed, baffle-type muffler for each exhaust stack, with exhaust openings not to exceed two inches in diameter. Boats with original propulsion machinery made before 1970 are exempt from the requirements of this item.
(3) Motorboats and their propulsion machinery which exhaust over the transom shall exhaust through an automotive sealed, baffle-type muffler for each exhaust stack, with exhaust openings not to exceed two inches in diameter. Glass pack mufflers, resonators, and above-water open exhausts are prohibited for the motorboats. Baffle inserts are prohibited on all inboard boats.
(4) Motorboats with outboard propulsion machinery shall exhaust underwater at all times unless designed or modified to exhaust above water and comply with the provisions of item (3).
Section 50-25-1420. The motorboats competing in a regatta, boat race, marine parade, tournament, or exhibition are exempted from the provisions of this article. Exceptions also may be granted during designated hours for pretrial runs and for trial runs for speed records immediately following the event.
Section 50-25-1430. The operator of a motorboat who violates any of the provisions of this article is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined for a:
(1) first offense not less than fifty nor more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days;
(2) second offense not less than one hundred nor more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days;
(3) third or subsequent offense not less than two hundred nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 9:31 A.M.