Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 1-3-630 SO AS TO ESTABLISH THE DIVISION ON AFFORDABLE HOUSING WITHIN THE OFFICE OF THE LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR WHICH SHALL BE SUPPORTED BY AN ADVISORY COMMISSION ON AFFORDABLE HOUSING WHICH SHALL BE COMPRISED OF INDIVIDUALS FROM A VARIETY OF DISCIPLINES WHO ARE TRAINED AND KNOWLEDGEABLE IN AFFORDABLE HOUSING NEEDS, AND TO PROVIDE FOR THE DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS OF BOTH ENTITIES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Article 9, Chapter 3, Title 1 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 1-3-630. (A) There is created in the Office of the Lieutenant Governor the Division on Affordable Housing. The Lieutenant Governor shall appoint a division director who shall serve at his discretion. The division must be supported by an Advisory Commission on Affordable Housing consisting of a member of the Governor's staff, the chairman of the Senate and House of Representatives committees that consider affordable housing legislation, and a representative from each of the following entities:
(1) the South Carolina Housing and Finance Authority;
(2) the United States Housing and Urban Development State Office;
(3) the South Carolina Department of Commerce;
(4) the South Carolina Housing Authority Executive Director Association;
(5) the Rural Development Administration;
(6) the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission;
(7) the Municipal Association of South Carolina;
(8) the South Carolina Homebuilders Association; and
(9) other members who may be appointed by the members of the Advisory Commission on Affordable Housing.
(B) The chairman of the Advisory Commission on Affordable Housing must be elected by the members of the advisory commission from its members for a term of two years and until a successor is elected. Members of the commission shall serve without compensation, but shall receive mileage and subsistence authorized by law for members of boards, commissions, and committees. The advisory commission shall meet at least once each quarter and special meetings may be called at the discretion of the chairman of the advisory commission. Rules and procedures must be adopted by the advisory commission for the governance of its operations and activities.
(C) A member of the Advisory Commission on Affordable Housing selected pursuant to subsection (A)(9) shall serve for a term of two years and may be reappointed for successive terms.
(D) The Advisory Commission on Affordable Housing:
(1) shall advise the director of the Division on Affordable Housing on the administration of the work activities of the advisory commission; and
(2) may appoint task forces to carry out its work. Task force members shall have knowledge of, responsibility for, or an interest in an area related to the duties of the advisory commission.
(E) The director of the Division on Affordable Housing shall:
(1) facilitate the meeting of the advisory commission for the purpose of identifying and establishing strategies as a response to the need for low income affordable housing;
(2) cause the development of a statewide strategy to educate South Carolinians on the issues related to affordable housing;
(3) develop a uniform system of reporting and collecting statistical data related to affordable housing issues in South Carolina; and
(4) cause the development of an assessment of current housing programs and gather information on best practice models for the advisory commission's consideration.
(F) The advisory commission may utilize both private and public funding in addition to funds appropriated by the General Assembly.
(G) The director shall file a quarterly report of the division's and advisory commission's activities and recommendations to the Governor and both houses of the General Assembly on a quarterly basis."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 2:41 P.M.