Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
TO AMEND SECTION 59-26-20, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO DUTIES OF THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION AND THE COMMISSION ON HIGHER EDUCATION, SO AS TO ESTABLISH THE SOUTH CAROLINA TEACHER LOAN PROGRAM POLICY BOARD OF GOVERNANCE AND PROVIDE FOR ITS MEMBERSHIP AND DUTIES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 59-26-20(j) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 307 of 2004, is further amended by adding a new paragraph after the forth paragraph to read:
"The Commission on Higher Education shall establish, appoint, and maintain the South Carolina Teacher Loan Program Policy Board of Governance. The board must be composed of one member representing each of the following:
(1) Commission on Higher Education;
(2) State Board of Education;
(3) Education Oversight Committee;
(4) Center for Educator Recruitment, Retention, and Advancement of South Carolina;
(5) South Carolina Student Loan Corporation;
(6) South Carolina Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators;
(7) a public college or university with an approved teacher preparation program; and
(8) a private college or university with an approved teacher preparation program.
The members of the board representing the public and private colleges or universities shall rotate among those institutions and shall serve a two-year term on the board. Initial appointments must be made by July 1, 2007, at which time the member representing the Commission on Higher Education shall call the first meeting. At the initial meeting a chairman and vice chairman must be elected by a majority vote of the board. The board must be staffed by the Commission on Higher Education and shall meet at least twice annually. The board's responsibilities shall include but not be limited to:
(1) establish goals for the Teacher Loan Program;
(2) facilitate communication among the cooperating agencies;
(3) advocate for the Teacher Loan Program participants; and
(4) market the Teacher Loan Program."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on Monday, June 22, 2009 at 2:35 P.M.