Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
A310, R161, H4087
Sponsors: Rep. Bedingfield
Document Path: l:\council\bills\agm\19490bh09.docx
Companion/Similar bill(s): 862
Introduced in the House on May 20, 2009
Introduced in the Senate on January 13, 2010
Last Amended on February 18, 2010
Passed by the General Assembly on February 18, 2010
Governor's Action: March 31, 2010, Signed
Summary: Greenville Technical College Area Commission
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 5/20/2009 House Introduced, read first time, placed on calendar without reference HJ-8 5/21/2009 House Debate adjourned until Friday, May 22, 2009 HJ-16 5/21/2009 House Reconsidered HJ-52 5/21/2009 House Amended HJ-52 5/21/2009 House Read second time HJ-52 5/21/2009 Scrivener's error corrected 1/13/2010 House Read third time and sent to Senate HJ-27 1/13/2010 Senate Introduced and read first time SJ-7 1/13/2010 Senate Referred to Committee on Education SJ-7 1/13/2010 Senate Recalled from Committee on Education SJ-7 1/14/2010 Senate Amended SJ-15 1/14/2010 Senate Read second time SJ-15 1/15/2010 Scrivener's error corrected 1/19/2010 Senate Read third time and returned to House with amendments SJ-11 1/26/2010 House Senate amendment amended HJ-10 1/26/2010 House Returned to Senate with amendments HJ-13 1/28/2010 Senate Non-concurrence in House amendment SJ-57 2/2/2010 House House insists upon amendment and conference committee appointed Reps. Loftis, Bedingfield, and Allen HJ-46 2/3/2010 Senate Senate insists upon amendment and conference committee appointed Fair, Anderson, and Shoopman SJ-11 2/17/2010 Senate Free conference powers granted SJ-58 2/17/2010 Senate Free conference committee appointed Fair, Anderson, and Shoopman SJ-58 2/17/2010 Senate Free conference report adopted SJ-58 2/18/2010 House Free conference powers granted HJ-34 2/18/2010 House Roll call Yeas-99 Nays-1 2/18/2010 House Free conference committee appointed Reps. Loftis, Bedingfield, and Allen 2/18/2010 House Free conference report received and adopted HJ-36 2/18/2010 House Roll call Yeas-100 Nays-0 HJ-39 2/23/2010 Senate Ordered enrolled for ratification SJ-15 3/25/2010 Ratified R 161 3/31/2010 Signed By Governor 4/12/2010 Effective date 03/31/10 9/9/2010 Act No. 310
View the latest legislative information at the LPITS web site
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
(A310, R161, H4087)
AN ACT TO AMEND ACT 743 OF 1962, AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE GREENVILLE COUNTY COMMISSION FOR TECHNICAL EDUCATION, SO AS TO CREATE THE GREENVILLE TECHNICAL COLLEGE AREA COMMISSION AND TO PROVIDE FOR ITS MEMBERSHIP, POWERS, AND DUTIES; AND TO DELETE SECTIONS 2 AND 3 OF ACT 743 OF 1962.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Greenville Technical College Area Commission created; powers and duties defined
SECTION 1. Act 743 of 1962, as last amended by Act 599 of 1992, is further amended by adding:
"Section 1A. (A) There is created the Greenville Technical College Area Commission which is a body politic and corporate and the governing body of Greenville Technical College. The commission consists of twelve members, three of whom shall serve as nonvoting members:
(1) the Superintendent of Greenville County School District, who shall serve ex officio;
(2) the Director of Workforce Development, who shall serve ex officio; and
(3) a representative of the University Center of Greenville selected upon the recommendation of the Chairman of the Greenville County Legislative Delegation.
The remaining members are voting members, must be selected by the Greenville County Legislative Delegation, and include:
(1) a member selected upon the recommendation of the Chairman of the Greenville County Council, who may not be a current council member;
(2) a member selected upon the recommendation of the Chairman of the Greenville County Legislative Delegation;
(3) one member selected from either House District 17 or House District 18;
(4) one member selected from either House District 20 or House District 22;
(5) one member selected from either House District 23 or House District 25;
(6) one member selected from either House District 19 or House District 26;
(7) one member selected from either House District 21 or House District 24;
(8) one member selected from either House District 27 or House District 28; and
(9) one member selected at large.
A member of the area commission shall serve for a term of four years, except that the member selected upon the recommendation of the Chairman of the Greenville County Council and the members selected upon the recommendation of the Chairman of the Greenville County Legislative Delegation shall serve for a term of two years. Present members of the commission shall serve until their terms end, with their respective successors appointed by the legislative delegation according to the above method. The delegation shall designate one of the present members from House District 19 to serve at large.
(B) The commission shall:
(1) establish the basic qualifications for and appoint a president for the term and under the conditions as it may fix, the commission having full powers of appointment and dismissal to the fullest extent permitted by law and applicable regulations;
(2) provide for the employment of personnel pursuant to Section 59-53-20;
(3) purchase land required for college sites and rights of way which are necessary for the proper operation of the college;
(4) apply the standards and requirements for admission and graduation of students and other standards established by the State Board for Technical and Comprehensive Education;
(5) receive and accept private donations, gifts, bequests, and the like to apply them or invest any of them and apply the proceeds for the purposes and upon the terms which the donor may prescribe and which are consistent with the provisions of law and the regulations of the State Board for Technical and Comprehensive Education;
(6) require the execution of studies and take steps as are necessary to ensure that the functions of the college are always those which are most helpful and feasible in light of the resources available to the school;
(7) designate members or other agents or representatives to represent the college before the Greenville County Council, the State Board for Technical and Comprehensive Education, and other agencies concerned with the serving of financial support for the needs of the college for operation expenses and capital outlay;
(8) adopt and recommend current expense and capital outlay budgets;
(9) perform acts and do other things as may be necessary or proper for the exercise of the foregoing specific powers, including the adoption and enforcement of reasonable rules, regulations, and bylaws for the government and operation of the college under law and for the discipline of students;
(10) perform functions required as necessary for the proper governance of the college with regard to policy, personnel, and fiduciary matters."
Deletion of Sections 2 and 3 of Act 743 of 1962
SECTION 2. Sections 2 and 3 of Act 743 of 1962 are deleted.
SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Ratified the 25th day of March, 2010.
Approved the 31st day of March, 2010.
This web page was last updated on Friday, August 16, 2013 at 1:57 P.M.