Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
A252, R293, H3365
Sponsors: Reps. Govan, Jefferson, Williams, Whipper, R.L. Brown and Gilliard
Document Path: l:\council\bills\agm\19830ab13.docx
Introduced in the House on January 17, 2013
Introduced in the Senate on January 21, 2014
Last Amended on May 29, 2014
Passed by the General Assembly on June 3, 2014
Governor's Action: June 6, 2014, Signed
Summary: Mental health counseling
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1/17/2013 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 10) 1/17/2013 House Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 10) 2/7/2013 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Whipper, R.L.Brown 5/23/2013 House Committee report: Favorable with amendment Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 8) 5/30/2013 House Debate adjourned (House Journal-page 65) 5/30/2013 House Requests for debate-Rep(s). Atwater, Hiott, Goldfinch, Toole, Clemmons, Tallon, Chumley, Owens, Stringer, Burns, VS Moss, GR Smith, Ryhal, Douglas, Ridgeway, McCoy, Erickson, Patrick, Crosby, Rivers, Whipper, Forrester (House Journal-page 83) 1/15/2014 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Gilliard 1/15/2014 House Amended (House Journal-page 50) 1/15/2014 House Read second time (House Journal-page 50) 1/15/2014 House Roll call Yeas-109 Nays-0 (House Journal-page 53) 1/16/2014 House Read third time and sent to Senate (House Journal-page 248) 1/16/2014 Scrivener's error corrected 1/21/2014 Senate Introduced and read first time (Senate Journal-page 14) 1/21/2014 Senate Referred to Committee on Education (Senate Journal-page 14) 5/28/2014 Senate Committee report: Favorable with amendment Education (Senate Journal-page 24) 5/29/2014 Senate Committee Amendment Adopted (Senate Journal-page 60) 5/29/2014 Senate Read second time (Senate Journal-page 60) 5/29/2014 Senate Roll call Ayes-41 Nays-4 (Senate Journal-page 60) 6/3/2014 Senate Read third time and returned to House with amendments (Senate Journal-page 25) 6/3/2014 House Concurred in Senate amendment and enrolled (House Journal-page 58) 6/3/2014 House Roll call Yeas-94 Nays-0 (House Journal-page 58) 6/5/2014 Ratified R 293 6/6/2014 Signed By Governor 6/13/2014 Effective date 06/06/14 6/16/2014 Act No. 252
View the latest legislative information at the LPITS web site
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
(A252, R293, H3365)
AN ACT TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 59-66-40 SO AS TO CREATE THE SCHOOL SAFETY TASK FORCE, TO PROVIDE THE PURPOSES AND COMPOSITION OF THE TASK FORCE, AND TO PROVIDE FOR THE TERMINATION OF THE TASK FORCE UPON REPORTING ITS RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2015.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Creation, responsibilities, composition
SECTION 1. Chapter 66, Title 59 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 59-66-40. (A)(1) There is created a school safety task force to:
(a) examine the various funding streams for school-based mental health services and determine how these streams may best be utilized in order to provide more accessible and efficient delivery of mental health programs;
(b) examine school mental health staffing ratios and provide suggestions that allow for the full delivery of services and effective school-community partnerships, including collaboration between school districts;
(c) develop standards for district level policies to promote effective school discipline and mental health intervention services;
(d) examine current intra- and interagency collaboration and suggest ways to improve cooperation; and
(e) examine how to best support multitiered systems of support.
(2) Any recommendations made by the task force must be revenue neutral.
(3) The task force shall report its findings and make recommendations concerning proposed changes to the General Assembly.
(B) The task force must be composed of:
(1) one member appointed by the South Carolina Association of Licensed Professional Counselors;
(2) one member appointed by the South Carolina Society for Clinical Social Work;
(3) one member appointed by the South Carolina Education Association;
(4) one member appointed by the Palmetto State Teachers Association;
(5) one member appointed by the South Carolina School Counselor Association;
(6) one member appointed by the South Carolina Association of School Psychologists;
(7) one member appointed by the South Carolina Association of School Social Workers;
(8) one member appointed by the South Carolina Association for Marriage and Family Therapy;
(9) one member appointed by the South Carolina Association of School Administrators;
(10) one member appointed by the South Carolina School Boards Association;
(11) one member appointed by the South Carolina Department of Mental Health;
(12) one member appointed by the South Carolina Association of School Resource Officers;
(13) one member appointed by the Chief of the State Law Enforcement Division;
(14) one member appointed by the Governor;
(15) one member appointed by the State Superintendent of Education;
(16) two members appointed by the Chairman of the House Education and Public Works Committee; and
(17) two members appointed by the Chairman of the Senate Education Committee.
(C) Vacancies in the membership of the task force must be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term in the manner of original appointment.
(D) Members of the task force shall serve without compensation and may not receive mileage or per diem.
(E) The staffing for the task force must be provided by the staff of the House Education and Public Works Committee and Senate Education Committee.
(F) The task force shall make a report of its recommendations to the General Assembly no later than December 31, 2014, at which time the task force must be dissolved."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Ratified the 5th day of June, 2014.
Approved the 6th day of June, 2014.
This web page was last updated on July 24, 2014 at 3:57 PM