Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
A301, R261, H4775
Sponsors: Reps. Gambrell, Bowen, Gagnon, Putnam, Thayer and White
Document Path: l:\council\bills\bbm\10994htc14.docx
Introduced in the House on February 25, 2014
Introduced in the Senate on May 6, 2014
Last Amended on May 1, 2014
Passed by the General Assembly on May 22, 2014
Governor's Action: June 2, 2014, Signed
Summary: Anderson County School Districts
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2/25/2014 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 28) 2/25/2014 House Referred to Anderson Delegation (House Journal-page 28) 4/30/2014 House Recalled from Anderson Delegation (House Journal-page 106) 5/1/2014 House Amended (House Journal-page 23) 5/1/2014 House Read second time (House Journal-page 23) 5/1/2014 House Roll call Yeas-76 Nays-0 (House Journal-page 24) 5/1/2014 House Unanimous consent for third reading on next legislative day (House Journal-page 25) 5/2/2014 House Read third time and sent to Senate (House Journal-page 2) 5/6/2014 Senate Introduced, read first time, placed on local & uncontested calendar (Senate Journal-page 5) 5/20/2014 Senate Read second time (Senate Journal-page 16) 5/22/2014 Senate Read third time and enrolled (Senate Journal-page 14) 5/29/2014 Ratified R 261 6/2/2014 Signed By Governor 6/6/2014 Effective date See Act for Effective Date 9/8/2014 Act No. 301
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
(A301, R261, H4775)
AN ACT TO AMEND ACT 509 OF 1982, AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE BOARDS OF TRUSTEES OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICTS OF ANDERSON COUNTY BY DELETING PROVISIONS ALTERING THE MEMBERSHIP OF DISTRICT BOARDS BASED ON DISTRICT ENROLLMENT AND TO DELETE PROVISIONS RELATING TO THE ROLE OF THE ANDERSON COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION IN REDISTRICTING SINGLE-MEMBER DISTRICTS AND TO PROVIDE THE NUMBER OF THE OFFICIAL MAP DEFINING THE ELECTION DISTRICTS OF ANDERSON COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT 5 AS MAINTAINED BY THE OFFICE OF RESEARCH AND STATISTICS OF THE STATE BUDGET AND CONTROL BOARD.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Obsolete provisions deleted
SECTION 1. Act 509 of 1982 is amended by deleting Sections 4 and 8 which read:
"Section 4. The boards in the several districts shall be constituted as follows:
(1) In those districts having a total enrollment in all elementary and high schools within the district of less than three thousand pupils, the board of trustees shall consist of five members;
(2) In those districts having a total enrollment in all elementary and high schools within the district of three thousand pupils, or more, but less than six thousand pupils, the board of trustees shall consist of seven members;
(3) In those districts having a total enrollment in all elementary and high schools within the district of six thousand pupils, or more, the board of trustees shall consist of nine members.
Section 8. Notwithstanding any other provision of law and beginning with the general election of 1980, members of the Board of Trustees of School District Number Five in Anderson County shall be elected in the following manner:
(1) Two trustees shall be elected at large from the district and the qualified electors of the district.
(2) Seven members shall be elected from single-member election districts and shall be qualified electors of the election district from which they are elected.
(3) The single-member districts referred to in (2) above shall be established by the County Board of Education and shall be apportioned so that the population variance among districts shall not exceed ten percent based on the latest official United States census.
(4) Terms of all members shall be for four years and until their successors are elected and qualify.
The five members presently serving on the board may continue to serve until the expiration of their terms in 1982 if they choose to do so."
Map reference for Anderson County School District 5
SECTION 2. Section 13A.(E)(1)(a) of Act 509 of 1982, as added by an act of 2014 bearing ratification number 164, is amended to read:
"(a) one member elected from each of the seven single-member districts defined on Anderson County School District 5 map S-07-05-14 as maintained in the Office of Research and Statistics of the State Budget and Control Board; and"
SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor and first applies for trustees of the Anderson County school districts elected in the 2014 election.
Ratified the 29th day of May, 2014.
Approved the 2nd day of June, 2014.
This web page was last updated on November 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM