Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
TO RECOGNIZE AND CONGRATULATE ST. JAMES LUTHERAN CHURCH IN LEXINGTON ON THE OCCASION OF ITS HISTORIC ONE HUNDRED TWENTY FIFTH ANNIVERSARY AND TO COMMEND THE CHURCH FOR MORE THAN A CENTURY OF SERVICE TO GOD AND THE COMMUNITY.
Whereas, the members of the Senate are pleased to learn that St. James Lutheran Church in Lexington, will celebrate its one hundred twenty fifth anniversary on August 10, 2015; and
Whereas, on August 10, 1890, led by Pastor Baily, the Union Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized, with fewer than twenty-five members. Later that same year the church was welcomed into the South Carolina Synod in the Union Parish. The first pastor to serve the congregation was Reverend J.D. Shealy, who served at the church for two years; and
Whereas, the congregation was stagnant for many years, until it became inactive in 1912. In 1921, the congregation was reactivated under the leadership of Pastor C.J. Sox. In 1930, the church became a part of the Pelion Parish. Under the leadership of Pastor D.M. Shull, the congregation constructed its first church edifice at the same location it resides now; and
Whereas, in 1936, the Pelion Parish divided, and St. James joined with St. Matthew to form the Red Bank Parish. Sixteen years later, in 1952, the congregation became a separate parish, becoming self-supporting and calling its own pastor; and
Whereas, Reverend C. Edgar Lindler became pastor in 1953. Ten years later, in June of 1962, a new brick building was completed. The new sanctuary seated two hundred and the old, original building became the educational wing. A new parsonage was constructed in 1967; and
Whereas, for thirty years the congregation flourished and in the early nineties, space once again became an issue. On January 10, 1993, a new sanctuary was dedicated. This sanctuary could seat nearly four hundred. As the Red Bank area continues to grow, St. James anticipates the opportunity for its own growth and service to the community; and
Whereas, approaching its one hundred twenty fifth anniversary on August 10, 2015, many descendants of the original twenty-five founding members still worship at St. James. With justified pride in the opportunities provided to them to serve the Red Bank community, the congregation members look to the future under a new pastor, Reverend Dr. Kevin Ogilive, who will join the church in July of 2015; and
Whereas, the South Carolina Senate celebrates this significant milestone one hundred twenty-five years of meaningful spiritual ministry to the congregation and to the community of St. James Lutheran Church. Now, therefore,
Be it resolved by the Senate:
That the members of the Senate, by this resolution, recognize and congratulate St. James Lutheran Church in Lexington on the occasion of its historic one hundred twenty fifth anniversary and commend the church for more than a century of service to God and the community.
Be it further resolved that a copy of this resolution be forwarded to St. James Lutheran Church.
This web page was last updated on June 3, 2015 at 2:38 PM