Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Senators Leatherman, Setzler and Massey
Document Path: l:\s-res\hkl\014sine.kmm.hkl.docx
Introduced in the Senate on January 31, 2018
Currently residing in the Senate Committee on Judiciary
Summary: Sine Die Adjournment
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1/31/2018 Senate Introduced (Senate Journal-page 8) 1/31/2018 Senate Referred to Committee on Judiciary (Senate Journal-page 8)
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
TO PROVIDE THAT PURSUANT TO SECTION 9, ARTICLE III, OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THIS STATE, 1895, WHEN THE RESPECTIVE HOUSES OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY ADJOURN ON THURSDAY, MAY 10, 2018, NOT LATER THAN 5:00 P.M., OR ANYTIME EARLIER, STAND ADJOURNED TO MEET SUBJECT TO THE CALL OF THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE FOR THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND THE PRESIDENT PRO TEMPORE OF THE SENATE FOR THE SENATE AT TIMES THEY CONSIDER APPROPRIATE FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE BODIES TO MEET FOR THE CONSIDERATION OF CERTAIN SPECIFIED MATTERS, AND TO PROVIDE THAT WHEN THE RESPECTIVE HOUSES OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY ADJOURN NOT LATER THAN FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2018, THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY SHALL STAND ADJOURNED SINE DIE.
Be it resolved by the Senate, the House of Representatives concurring:
(A) Pursuant to the provisions of Section 9, Article III of the South Carolina Constitution, 1895, and by the two-thirds vote required by that section in order to recede for more than thirty consecutive calendar days, each house agrees, by this resolution, to recede from the other body either for a period less than thirty days or for more than thirty days as the case may be.
(B) Further, the General Assembly by this resolution agrees to bind itself subject to the provisions of this resolution. The Sine Die adjournment date for the General Assembly for the 2018 session is recognized and extended to permit the General Assembly to continue in session after Thursday, May 10, 2018, under the terms and conditions stipulated in this resolution and for this purpose each house agrees that when the Senate and the House of Representatives adjourn on Thursday, May 10, 2018, not later than 5:00 p.m. or at any time prior, each house shall stand adjourned to meet subject to the call of the Speaker of the House for the House of Representatives and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate for the Senate at times they consider appropriate for their respective bodies to meet for the consideration of the following matters and subject to the following conditions, as applicable:
(1) introduction, receipt and consideration of any legislation or resolution concerning the V.C. Summer Nuclear units;
(2) convening of a joint assembly to conduct elections for offices or vacancies in any offices filled by election of the General Assembly, including, but not limited to, elections for Commissioners on the Public Service Commission;
(3) introduction, receipt, and consideration of resolutions affecting Sine Die adjournment;
(4) receipt and consideration of gubernatorial vetoes;
(5) receipt and consideration of the General Appropriations Bill, the Supplemental Appropriations Bill, the Capital Reserve Fund Bill, and introduction, receipt, and consideration of a Continuing Resolution to fund the ordinary expenses of state government, if necessary, until the passage of the General Appropriations Bill, concurrence and nonconcurrence and amendments to these bills returned from the other house, and the appointment of members to conference and free conference committees and receipt, consideration, and disposition of conference and free conference reports on the matters identified in this item;
(6) receipt and consideration of legislation necessary to address any shortfall in revenue meeting the conditions of Section 11-9-890;
(7) introduction, receipt, and consideration of resolutions expressing sympathy or congratulations;
(8) receipt, consideration, and confirmation of magistrate appointments; and
(9) receipt, consideration, and disposition of conference and free conference reports on matters not provided for in item (3), for which a committee of conference has been appointed prior to 5:00 p.m. on May 10, 2018.
(D) The President Pro Tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives may set a mutually agreed upon time or times prior to Sine Die adjournment for officers of the Senate and House to ratify acts.
(E) Unless the session is otherwise adjourned Sine Die at an earlier date, the 2018 session of the General Assembly shall stand adjourned Sine Die not later than Friday, November 9, 2018.
(F) For purposes of Section 1-3-210 and after May 10, 2018, when neither the House of Representatives or the Senate have been called into session pursuant to the provisions of this resolution, the General Assembly intends that the legislature be considered in recess for purposes of the Governor being allowed to fill vacancies by interim appointments, except for the office of magistrate which only may be filled by interim appointment upon recommendation of the respective Senatorial delegation.
(G) For purposes of the Administrative Procedures Act, in regards to the one hundred twenty day period the General Assembly has to review state agency regulations, this one hundred twenty day period is tolled Friday, May 11, 2018, until January 8, 2019.
This web page was last updated on February 2, 2018 at 11:28 AM