Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
TO AMEND SECTION 38-71-147 OF THE 1976 CODE, RELATING TO PHARMACISTS PARTICIPATING IN HEALTH MAINTENANCE ORGANIZATIONS, TO EXPAND THE TYPES OF HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS ABLE TO PARTICIPATE WILLINGLY IN HEALTH MAINTENANCE ORGANIZATIONS.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 38-71-147 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"(A) For purposes of this section, 'health care provider' or 'provider' means those individuals or entities licensed by the State of South Carolina to provide health care services, limited to the following:
(1) pharmacies and pharmacists;
(2) physicians and physician group practices;
(3) physical therapists and physical therapy group practices;
(4) occupational therapists and occupational therapy group practices;
(5) radiological technologists or radiological technology group practices;
(6) home health providers; and
(7) clinical or diagnostic laboratory providers.
(B) An individual or group accident and health or health insurance policy or a health maintenance organization plan may not:
(1) prohibit or limit a person who is a participant or beneficiary of the policy or plan from selecting a health care provider
pharmacy or pharmacist of the person's choice who has agreed to participate in the plan according to the terms offered by the insurer; or
(2) deny a health care provider
pharmacy or pharmacist the right to participate as a contract provider under the policy or plan if the health care provider pharmacy or pharmacist agrees to provide pharmacy health care services including, but not limited to, prescription drugs that meet the terms and requirements set forth by the insurer under the policy or plan and agrees to the terms of reimbursement set forth by the insurer."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on December 13, 2016 at 1:22 PM