Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
TO AMEND SECTION 56-5-6530, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE REQUIREMENT THAT CERTAIN DRIVERS AND OCCUPANTS OF MOTOR VEHICLES BEING OPERATED ON THE PUBLIC STREETS AND HIGHWAYS OF THIS STATE MUST WEAR A FASTENED SAFETY BELT, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT THIS REQUIREMENT APPLIES TO THE DRIVER AND OCCUPANTS OF SCHOOL, CHURCH, AND DAYCARE BUSES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 56-5-6530 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 147 of 2005, is further amended to read:
"Section 56-5-6530. The provisions of this article do not apply to:
(1) a driver or occupant who possesses a written verification from a physician that he is unable to wear a safety belt for physical or medical reasons;
(2) medical or rescue personnel attending to injured or sick individuals in an emergency vehicle when operating in an emergency situation as well as the injured or sick individuals;
school, church, or day care buses (reserved);
(4) public transportation vehicles except taxis;
(5) occupants of vehicles in parades;
(6) United States mail carriers;
(7) an occupant for which no safety belt is available because all belts are being used by other occupants;
(8) a driver or occupants in a vehicle not originally equipped with safety belts."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on December 16, 2016 at 1:15 AM