Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
COMMITTEE AMENDMENT AMENDED AND ADOPTED
March 7, 2018
S. Printed 3/7/18--S.
Read the first time March 8, 2017.
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 59-26-45 SO AS TO PROVIDE RETIRED EDUCATOR TEACHING CERTIFICATES FOR PEOPLE WHO MEET CERTAIN CRITERIA, TO PROVIDE INITIAL RETIRED EDUCATOR CERTIFICATES ARE VALID FOR THIRTY YEARS AND MAY BE RENEWED, AND TO PROVIDE RELATED REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS.
Amend Title To Conform
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Chapter 26, Title 59 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 59-26-45. (A) A retired educator certificate is a renewable certificate established in regulation by the State Board of Education that allows a retired South Carolina educator to be eligible to maintain certification for the purpose of substituting. A person is initially eligible for a South Carolina retired educator certificate if he:
(1) held a valid South Carolina renewable, professional educator certificate at the time of retirement;
(2) is either a:
(i) retired member of the South Carolina Retirement System; or
(ii) current or former participant in the State Optional Retirement Program who would have met the eligibility requirements for retirement under the South Carolina Retirement System had he participated in that system rather than the State Optional Retirement Program;
(3) does not hold another valid South Carolina educator certificate and has never held a valid South Carolina educator certificate that has been suspended, revoked, or voluntarily surrendered; and
(4) meets all other qualifications to serve as a substitute educator as specified in state statute, regulation, and guidelines.
(B) An individual meeting the eligibility requirements and desirous of a certificate, including a renewal certificate, must submit the request in the manner specified in regulation and guidelines.
(1) A retired educator certificate approved and issued is valid for five years from the date of each issuance.
(2) A certificate may be renewed and, if approved, is valid for five years from the date of each issuance.
(3) Department guidelines shall include the timeline, forms, and a process for submitting and approving or denying certificate or renewal requests.
(4) Renewal of a retired educator certificate does not require completion of professional learning or renewal credit.
(C) Any new or renewed certificate is invalidated upon issuance of any other South Carolina educator certificate.
(D) An educator who works under the retired certificate must work under the agreement and rate of pay established for this purpose by the hiring district. Section 59-25-150 shall apply to any retired educator certificate.
(E) Nothing in this section exempts an educator from taking part in professional development that is required by a local school district.
(F) The State Board of Education shall develop regulations for, and the department shall establish guidelines and procedures for, the implementation of this section."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on March 7, 2018 at 3:49 PM