Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Reps. Funderburk, Herbkersman, Collins and Ridgeway
Document Path: l:\council\bills\cc\15554vr19.docx
Introduced in the House on April 2, 2019
Currently residing in the House Committee on Medical, Military, Public and Municipal Affairs
Summary: State Surgeon General
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 4/2/2019 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 60) 4/2/2019 House Referred to Committee on Medical, Military, Public and Municipal Affairs (House Journal-page 60)
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 1-3-225 SO AS TO PROVIDE FOR THE APPOINTMENT OF A STATE SURGEON GENERAL BY THE GOVERNOR AND TO ESTABLISH QUALIFICATIONS AND DUTIES FOR THE STATE SURGEON GENERAL; AND TO ESTABLISH AN ADVISORY COMMITTEE FOR THE STATE SURGEON GENERAL AND TO PROVIDE FOR THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE'S MEMBERSHIP AND DUTIES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Article 5, Chapter 3, Title 1 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 1-3-225. (A) The Governor shall name and appoint a State Surgeon General for the State of South Carolina for a term of four years and until a successor has been appointed and qualified. The State Surgeon General is eligible for reappointment one time.
(B) The State Surgeon General must be a physician licensed to practice in South Carolina with experience treating prevalent health risks facing the State who has demonstrated a commitment to incorporating healthy lifestyles, including evidence-based nutrition and fitness, as a key component to promoting health and wellness.
(C) The State Surgeon General shall:
(1) advise the Governor on a comprehensive approach to addressing lifestyle health risks and challenges facing the State to improve the health of all South Carolinians by promoting healthy lifestyles;
(2) participate on relevant tasks forces, initiatives, collaboratives, and public programming at the request of the Governor; and
(3) prepare a report annually for the Governor and General Assembly with evidence-based recommendations on how to promote healthy lifestyles throughout the State.
(D)(1) There is created an advisory committee to support the work of the State Surgeon General composed of the following members:
(a) one member appointed by the Governor;
(b) one member appointed by the Speaker of the House;
(c) one member appointed by the President of the Senate;
(d) two members appointed by the chairman of the House Medical, Military, Public and Municipal Affairs Committee;
(e) two members appointed by the chairman of the Senate Medical Affairs Committee; and
(f) two members who are private citizens, appointed by the Governor.
(2) The individuals who appoint the members pursuant to item (1)(a) through (e) should ensure that the members incorporate diverse professional backgrounds to include physicians, nurses, nutritionists, exercise science professionals, medical school personnel, mental health professionals, and public health officials.
(3) The advisory committee shall meet at the call of the State Surgeon General and are not entitled to per diem, mileage, and subsistence as provided by law for boards, commissions, and committees."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on April 5, 2019 at 12:13 PM