Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Reps. G.R. Smith, B. Cox, Huggins, Magnuson, Stringer, Rutherford, Trantham, Oremus, Long, Thayer, Burns, McCravy, Robinson, Taylor, V.S. Moss, Haddon, McCabe, Hosey, Hardee and Yow
Document Path: l:\council\bills\gt\5842cm21.docx
Companion/Similar bill(s): 23, 3503
Introduced in the House on January 12, 2021
Currently residing in the House Committee on Judiciary
Summary: Concealed weapons permits
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 12/9/2020 House Prefiled 12/9/2020 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary 1/12/2021 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 36) 1/12/2021 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary (House Journal-page 36) 1/26/2021 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Hardee 1/27/2021 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Yow
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
TO AMEND SECTION 23-31-215, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE ISSUANCE OF CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMITS, SO AS TO REVISE THE PENALTY FOR VIOLATING THE PROVISIONS THAT PROHIBIT A PERMIT HOLDER FROM CARRYING A WEAPON IN CERTAIN PLACES, AND TO DELETE AN OBSOLETE CODE REFERENCE.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 23-31-215(M) of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:
(1) law enforcement, correctional, or detention facility;
(2) courthouse or courtroom;
(3) polling place on election days;
(4 office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;
(5) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;
(6) daycare facility or preschool facility;
(7) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;
(8) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body;
(9) hospital, medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer; or
(10) place clearly marked with a sign prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon on the premises pursuant to Sections 23-31-220 and 23-31-235. Except that a property owner or an agent acting on his behalf, by express written consent, may allow individuals of his choosing to enter onto property regardless of any posted sign to the contrary.
A person who violates a provision of this item, whether the violation is wilful or not, only may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620 and must not be charged with or penalized for a violation of this subsection.
Except as provided for in
item (10), a person who wilfully violates a provision of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years subsection (U), a person found guilty of wilfully violating the provisions of this subsection shall be subject to a civil fine of not more than two hundred dollars. If a second violation occurs within a six-month period, the person shall be subject to a civil fine of not more than five hundred dollars and shall have his permit revoked for a period of one year. Imposition of fines pursuant to this subsection shall not give rise to any disability or legal disadvantage based on conviction for a criminal offense.
Nothing contained in this subsection may be construed to alter or affect the provisions of Sections 10-11-320, 16-23-420, 16-23-430, 16-23-465, 44-23-1080, 44-52-165,
50-9-830, and 51-3-145."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on March 17, 2021 at 2:00 PM