South Carolina General Assembly
125th Session, 2023-2024
Download This Bill in Microsoft Word Format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Reps. Long, Beach, Burns, Chumley, B.J. Cox, Cromer, Haddon, Harris, S. Jones, Kilmartin, Magnuson, May, McCabe, A.M. Morgan, T.A. Morgan, O'Neal, Oremus, Pace, Trantham, White, Leber, Landing, Yow and Mitchell
Companion/Similar bill(s): 163, 3118, 3509, 3510
Document Path: LC-0022SA23.docx
Introduced in the House on January 10, 2023
Currently residing in the House
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
|Date||Body||Action Description with journal page number|
|12/15/2022||House||Referred to Committee on Ways and Means|
|1/10/2023||House||Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 216)|
|1/10/2023||House||Referred to Committee on Ways and Means (House Journal-page 216)|
|2/1/2023||House||Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Landing|
|3/1/2023||House||Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Yow, Mitchell|
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
to amend the South Carolina Code of Laws by adding Section 9-16-57 so as to PROVIDE THAT THE RETIREMENT INVESTMENT COMMISSION MAY NOT INVEST PUBLIC EMPLOYEE RETIREMENT FUNDS IN CERTAIN COMPANIES OWNED, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, BY THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA OR THE CHINESE COMMUNIST PARTY.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Article 1, Chapter 16, Title 9 of the S.C. Code is amended by adding:
Section 9-16-57. (A) The commission may not invest public employee retirement funds, in any manner, in the obligations of any company or development:
(1) owned or controlled by a company that is owned, in whole or in part, by, or is a subsidiary of, a company that is owned by the People's Republic of China or the Chinese Communist Party; or
(2) whose principal place of business is located within the People's Republic of China.
(B) For purposes of this section:
(1) "Chinese Communist Party" includes all agencies, institutions, and instrumentalities of the Chinese Communist Party.
(2) "Company" or "development" means a sole proprietorship, organization, association, corporation, partnership, trust, venture, group, subgroup, or any other entity or organization, its subsidiary or affiliate that exists for profit making purposes or to otherwise secure economic advantage.
(3) "Peoples' Republic of China" includes all agencies, institutions, instrumentalities, and political subdivisions of the People's Republic of China.
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on March 1, 2023 at 11:28 AM