South Carolina General Assembly
125th Session, 2023-2024
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
(Text matches printed bills. Document has been reformatted to meet World Wide Web specifications.)
to amend the South Carolina Code of Laws by amending Section 56-3-210, relating to the Time period in which a newly acquired vehicle or vehicle moved into this state must be registered and licensed, so as to permit the operation of such vehicles within this time period so long as the bill of sale and proof of insurance are maintained in the vehicle at all times.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1.Section 56-3-210(B) of the S.C. Code is amended to read:
(B) A person who newly acquires a vehicle or an owner of a foreign vehicle that is being moved into this State, that is required to be registered under this chapter, and that is not properly registered and licensed, before operating the vehicle on the state's highways during the forty-five day period contained in this section, must:
(1) transfer a license plate from another vehicle pursuant to subsection (G) of this section and Section 56-3-1290;
(2) purchase a new license plate and registration;
(3) purchase a temporary license plate from the department pursuant to subsection (D) of this section;
(4) purchase a temporary license plate from the county auditor's office in the county in which the person resides pursuant to subsection (D) of this section; or
(5) obtain a temporary license plate from a dealer of new or used vehicles pursuant to subsection (E) of this section.; or
(6) maintain in the vehicle at all times proof of insurance and the bill of sale, to verify the vehicle's date of purchase to a law enforcement officer.
SECTION 2.This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on December 09, 2022 at 02:45 PM