South Carolina General Assembly
125th Session, 2023-2024
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
(Text matches printed bills. Document has been reformatted to meet World Wide Web specifications.)
to amend the South Carolina Code of Laws by adding Section 59-29-12 so as to PROVIDE PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICTS, PUBLIC SCHOOLS, AND PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING MAY NOT DIRECT OR OTHERWISE COMPEL STUDENTS TO PERSONALLY AFFIRM, ADOPT, OR ADHERE TO THE TENETS OF "CRITICAL RACE THEORY" OR PROVIDE RELATED INSTRUCTION, AND TO DEFINE NECESSARY TERMINOLOGY.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1.Article 1, Chapter 29, Title 59 of the S.C. Code is amended by adding:
Section 59-29-12.(A) Public school districts, public schools, and public institutions of higher learning may not:
(1) direct or otherwise compel students to personally affirm, adopt, or adhere to the tenets of critical race theory; or
(2) introduce a course of instruction or unit of study directing or otherwise compelling students to personally affirm, adopt, or adhere to any of the tenets of critical race.
(B) For purposes of this chapter, "critical race theory" means any of the following tenets:
(1) any sex, race, ethnicity, religion, color, or national origin is inherently superior or inferior;
(2) individuals should be adversely treated on the basis of their sex, race, ethnicity, religion, color, or national origin; or
(3) individuals, by virtue of sex, race, ethnicity, religion, color, or national origin, are inherently responsible for actions committed in the past by other members of the same sex, race, ethnicity, religion, color, or national origin.
SECTION 2.This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on December 09, 2022 at 03:26 PM