Current Status Introducing Body:
SenateBill Number: 1269Ratification Number: 548Act Number: 507Primary Sponsor: BryanType of Legislation: GBSubject: Dental instructor's and volunteer restricted licensesDate Bill Passed both Bodies: 19940601Computer Document Number: CYY/15896AC.94Governor's Action: SDate of Governor's Action: 19940831Introduced Date: 19940316Date of Last Amendment: 19940531Last History Body: ------Last History Date: 19940831Last History Type: Act No. 507Scope of Legislation: StatewideAll Sponsors: BryanType of Legislation: General Bill
Bill Body Date Action Description CMN Leg Involved ---- ------ ------------ ------------------------------ --- ------------ 1269 ------ 19940831 Act No. 507 1269 ------ 19940831 Signed by Governor 1269 ------ 19940602 Ratified R 548 1269 Senate 19940601 Concurred in House amendment, enrolled for ratification 1269 House 19940601 Read third time, returned to Senate with amendment 1269 House 19940531 Amended, read second time 1269 House 19940526 Debate adjourned until Tuesday, May 31, 1994 1269 House 19940511 Recalled from Committee 27 1269 House 19940503 Introduced, read first time, 27 referred to Committee 1269 Senate 19940429 Read third time, sent to House 1269 Senate 19940428 Read second time, unanimous consent for third reading on Friday, April 29, 1994 1269 Senate 19940428 Recalled from Committee 12 1269 Senate 19940316 Introduced, read first time, 12 referred to CommitteeView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
(A507, R548, S1269)
AN ACT TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 40-15-175 SO AS TO ESTABLISH AN INSTRUCTOR'S LICENSE FOR DENTISTS LICENSED IN ANOTHER STATE WHO TEACH DENTAL MEDICINE IN SOUTH CAROLINA FULL-TIME; AND BY ADDING SECTION 40-15-177 SO AS TO ESTABLISH RESTRICTED VOLUNTEER DENTIST AND DENTAL HYGIENIST LICENSES FOR PROVIDING THESE SERVICES ON A VOLUNTEER BASIS TO PERSONS WITHOUT DENTAL INSURANCE OR ACCESS TO OTHER FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR DENTAL CARE.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Dental instructors licenses created
SECTION 1. The 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 40-15-175. (A) The State Board of Dentistry may issue an instructor's license to a dentist who:
(1) holds a valid license in another state;
(2) passes an examination as prescribed by the board; and
(3) is teaching dental medicine in South Carolina full-time at the Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine only.
(B) A dentist with an instructor's license is authorized to practice at or on behalf of the Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine.
(C) An instructor's license must be renewed annually in accordance with procedures and fees as established by the board in regulation.
(D) A dentist holding an instructor's license issued pursuant to this section is subject to the provisions of this chapter and regulations promulgated under this chapter unless otherwise provided for in this section."
Dental and dental hygienist restricted volunteer licenses created
SECTION 2. The 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 40-15-177. (A) The State Board of Dentistry may issue a restricted volunteer license to a dentist or dental hygienist who:
(1) has held the corresponding license in another state as a licensee in good standing;
(2) has passed an examination as prescribed by the board;
(3) has not failed the state's corresponding clinical examination within the past five years;
(4) must have at least five years of clinical practice in the field for which they are seeking the license.
(B) A person holding a restricted volunteer license under this section: (1) must only practice in clinics prescribed by the board in regulation;
(2) only treat patients who have no insurance or who are not eligible for financial assistance for dental treatment;
(3) may not receive remuneration directly or indirectly for providing dental or dental hygiene services.
(C) A dentist with a restricted volunteer license issued under this section only may practice dentistry and perform dental procedures if:
(1) a dentist with an unrestricted license is available on the premises; or
(2) the dentist reviews every thirty days with a local licensed dentist in good standing the cases of all patients treated during the thirty-day period.
(D) A dental hygienist only may practice dental hygiene pursuant to this chapter and regulations promulgated under this chapter for dental hygienists and only under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist.
(E) A license issued under this section must be renewed annually in accordance with continuing education requirements and procedures as may be established by the board in regulation.
(F) A dentist or dental hygienist holding a restricted volunteer license issued pursuant to this section is subject to the provisions of this chapter and regulations promulgated under this chapter unless otherwise provided for in this section."
SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Approved the 31st day of August, 1994.