Current Status Introducing Body:
HouseBill Number: 4865Ratification Number: 617Act Number: 514Primary Sponsor: KeyserlingType of Legislation: GBSubject: Beaufort-Jasper Higher Education CommissionDate Bill Passed both Bodies: 19940525Computer Document Number: NO5/7656BDW.94Governor's Action: SDate of Governor's Action: 19940831Introduced Date: 19940302Last History Body: ------Last History Date: 19940831Last History Type: Act No. 514Scope of Legislation: StatewideAll Sponsors: Keyserling White Richardson HarrelsonType of Legislation: General Bill
Bill Body Date Action Description CMN Leg Involved ---- ------ ------------ ------------------------------ --- ------------ 4865 ------ 19940831 Act No. 514 4865 ------ 19940831 Signed by Governor 4865 ------ 19940602 Ratified R 617 4865 Senate 19940525 Read third time, enrolled for ratification 4865 Senate 19940524 Read second time 4865 Senate 19940519 Recalled from Committee, 04 placed on Calendar 4865 Senate 19940412 Introduced, read first time, 04 referred to Committee 4865 House 19940407 Read third time, sent to Senate 4865 House 19940406 Read second time 4865 House 19940322 Recalled from Committee 21 4865 House 19940302 Introduced, read first time, 21 referred to CommitteeView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
(A514, R617, H4865)
AN ACT TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING CHAPTER 56 TO TITLE 59 SO AS TO CREATE THE BEAUFORT-JASPER HIGHER EDUCATION COMMISSION AND PROVIDE FOR ITS MEMBERSHIP, MEETINGS, AUTHORITY, AND DUTIES; TO REPEAL ACT 90 OF 1959 RELATING TO THE BEAUFORT COUNTY HIGHER EDUCATION COMMISSION; AND TO PROVIDE FOR FINAL AND INITIAL TERMS.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Beaufort-Jasper Higher Education Commission
SECTION 1. The 1976 Code is amended by adding:
Section 59-56-10. (A) There is created the Beaufort-Jasper Higher Education Commission. The commission is composed of nine members appointed by the Governor. Seven must be residents of Beaufort County, and two must be residents of Jasper County. The appointments for Beaufort County members must be based upon the recommendation of a majority of the members of the Beaufort County Legislative Delegation. The appointments for Jasper County members must be based upon the recommendation of a majority of the members of the Jasper County Legislative Delegation.
(B) The members of the commission serve for a term of four years or until their successors are appointed and qualified. Vacancies must be filled for the unexpired term in the manner of the original appointment. The commission shall elect a chairman and a secretary from its membership to serve for two years and organize further as it may desire.
(C) The commission may meet at times it considers necessary, the meetings to be called by the chairman or upon the written request of four of its members. A member who misses three consecutive unexcused meetings is considered to have resigned his office, and a vacancy exists.
Section 59-56-20. (A) The commission may:
(1) upon the approval of a majority of its members, enter into contracts with institutions of higher learning upon terms and conditions mutually acceptable to the commission and the institution for the establishment and operation of educational centers to be branches of the institution at Beaufort or Jasper County, or both;
(2) obligate itself for the expenditure of a sum for the purposes of this chapter in an amount not to exceed that which is appropriate by law;
(3) bind itself for the furnishing of suitable facilities and accommodations for the educational center when by written prior agreement, it has obtained permission for its furnishing from the authority, agency, or board having control of the accommodations;
(4) accept gifts appropriate to carry out this chapter;
(5) hold title to real and personal property;
(6) borrow funds and receive grants.
(B) The commission shall appoint a group of not less than five nor more than fifteen interested persons from Beaufort and Jasper Counties and the surrounding area known as the Beaufort-Jasper Higher Education Advisory Board. This board may act in an advisory capacity to the commission. Three of the persons appointed must be appointed only upon the recommendation of a majority of each of the Beaufort and Jasper Counties Legislative Delegations.
Section 59-56-30. The commission shall submit to the Beaufort and Jasper Counties Legislative Delegations at least once a year a written report in which it must show an accounting of all funds under control of the commission, a statement of all receipts and disbursements not previously reported, and a statement of its estimated financial needs for the ensuing year."
SECTION 2. Act 90 of 1959 is repealed.
Expiration of terms; initial terms
SECTION 3. (A) The members of the Beaufort County Higher Education Commission serving on this act's effective date serve until members of the Beaufort-Jasper Higher Education Commission are appointed pursuant to this act.
(B) The initial terms of the members of the Beaufort-Jasper Higher Education Commission are as follows:
(1) four members who are Beaufort County residents, as determined by a majority of the Beaufort County Legislative Delegation: two years;
(2) three members who are Beaufort County residents, as determined by a majority of the Beaufort County Legislative Delegation: four years;
(3) two members who are Jasper County residents: four years.
SECTION 4. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Approved the 31st day of August, 1994.