Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Reps. Harrell, Umphlett, Leach, Rice, Brady, Vaughn, Coates, Hagood, Sinclair, Haley, Talley, Stewart, Toole, Duncan, Clark, Bailey, Hinson, Mahaffey, Merrill, G.R. Smith, J.R. Smith, Walker and Witherspoon
Document Path: l:\council\bills\gjk\20730sd06.doc
Introduced in the House on January 24, 2006
Introduced in the Senate on January 25, 2006
Adopted by the General Assembly on January 26, 2006
Summary: Four-year-old kindergarten
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1/24/2006 House Introduced, placed on calendar without reference HJ-7 1/25/2006 House Adopted, sent to Senate HJ-40 1/25/2006 Senate Introduced SJ-10 1/25/2006 Senate Referred to Committee on Education SJ-10 1/26/2006 Senate Recalled from Committee on Education SJ-9 1/26/2006 Senate Adopted, returned to House with concurrence SJ-9
View the latest legislative information at the LPITS web site
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
January 24, 2006
Introduced by Reps. Harrell, Umphlett, Leach, Rice, Brady, Vaughn, Coates, Hagood, Sinclair, Haley, Talley, Stewart, Toole, Duncan, Clark, Bailey, Hinson, Mahaffey, Merrill, G.R. Smith, J.R. Smith, Walker and Witherspoon
S. Printed 1/24/06--H.
Read the first time January 24, 2006.
TO REQUEST THE EDUCATION OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE TO INVENTORY AND STUDY ALL FOUR-YEAR-OLD KINDERGARTEN PROGRAMS IN THIS STATE FUNDED IN WHOLE OR IN PART WITH FEDERAL, STATE, OR LOCAL PUBLIC FUNDS; TO REQUEST THE EDUCATION OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE TO DETERMINE THE NECESSARY REQUIREMENTS TO IMPLEMENT A FULL DAY FOUR-YEAR-OLD KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM IN EACH OF THE EIGHT PLAINTIFF SCHOOL DISTRICTS IN THE CASE OF ABBEVILLE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT, ET AL., V. STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, ET AL. FOR ALL CHILDREN WHO QUALIFY FOR FREE OR REDUCED PRICED LUNCH AND IN ADDITION TO IMPLEMENT A STATEWIDE FULL DAY FOUR-YEAR-OLD KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM FOR ALL CHILDREN WHO QUALIFY FOR A FREE OR REDUCED PRICE LUNCH; TO REQUEST THE EDUCATION OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE TO COLLABORATE WITH THE OFFICE OF FIRST STEPS TO SCHOOL READINESS IN PERFORMING THESE STUDIES; AND TO SUBMIT THESE REQUESTED STUDIES TO EACH HOUSE OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY BY MARCH 15, 2006.
Be it resolved by the House of Representatives, the Senate concurring:
That the General Assembly hereby requests the Education Oversight Committee to undertake the following:
(1) to inventory and study all four-year-old kindergarten programs in this State funded in whole or in part with federal, state, or local public funds. The study shall include, but not be limited to:
(a) a determination of the success of each program using evaluative measures determined or developed by the committee;
(b) an analysis of the funding mechanisms of each program and their sufficiency, impact, availability, and correlation;
(c) other information relative to the provision or operation of four-year-old kindergarten programs as the committee deems appropriate.
(2) to determine the necessary requirements to implement a full day four-year-old kindergarten program in each of the eight plaintiff school districts in the case of Abbeville County School District, et al., v. State of South Carolina, et al. for all children who qualify for free or reduced priced lunch;
(3) to determine the necessary requirements to implement a statewide full day four-year-old kindergarten program for all children who qualify for free or reduced price lunches;
(4) to collaborate with the Office of First Steps to School Readiness in performing the studies provided in subsections (1), (2), and (3); and
(5) to submit the requested studies to each house of the General Assembly by March 15, 2006.
Be it further resolved that a copy of this resolution be forwarded to the Education Oversight Committee and the Office of First Steps to School Readiness.
This web page was last updated on Friday, December 4, 2009 at 3:49 P.M.