Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
May 19, 2016
S. Printed 5/19/16--H.
Read the first time April 28, 2016.
To whom was referred a Bill (S. 1252) to amend the Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976, by adding Section 23-9-195 so as to require the State Fire Marshal to issue a license for, etc., respectfully
That they have duly and carefully considered the same and recommend that the same do pass:
WILLIAM E. SANDIFER III for Committee.
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 23-9-195 SO AS TO REQUIRE THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL TO ISSUE A LICENSE FOR A COMMUNITY FIREWORKS DISPLAY IF CERTAIN SAFETY CONDITIONS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS ARE MET.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Article 1, Chapter 9, Title 23 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 23-9-195. The sponsor of a community fireworks display using consumer fireworks may petition the State Fire Marshal, Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation for a license to hold the display. The license must be granted if:
(1) the county in which the event is to be held has a population of less than thirty thousand;
(2) the governing body of the unincorporated county or the municipality in which the event is to be held approves the display through an ordinance or resolution;
(3) the sponsor is a volunteer nonremunerated individual, group of individuals, or a community organization;
(4) the sponsor can document the presence of police and fire rescue at the event;
(5) the sponsor can provide proof of insurance for the event; and
(6) the sponsor can demonstrate experience in hosting similar events, using similar nonremunerated volunteers without incident.
The State Fire Marshal, Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, may charge and retain a fee for the petition equal to the cost of the application fee of other similar filings."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on May 19, 2016 at 7:26 PM