Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Reps. Allison, Taylor, Felder and Stringer
Document Path: l:\council\bills\agm\19513wab19.docx
Companion/Similar bill(s): 3577, 4758
Introduced in the House on January 15, 2019
Currently residing in the House Committee on Education and Public Works
Summary: Educator preparation programs
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1/15/2019 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 69) 1/15/2019 House Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 69) 1/17/2019 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Stringer
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 59-26-120 SO AS TO PROVIDE THE STATE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION SHALL PROVIDE CERTAIN EDUCATOR PREPARATION PROGRAMS WITH CERTAIN INFORMATION REGARDING GRADUATES OF THOSE PROGRAMS, TO PROVIDE EDUCATOR PREPARATION PROGRAMS MAY NOT SHARE IDENTIFIABLE EDUCATOR DATA WITH THIRD PARTIES WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT, AND TO PROVIDE THIS INFORMATION IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Chapter 26, Title 59 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 59-26-120. (A) The State Department of Education annually before December first shall provide each college of education and state-approved educator preparation program with information regarding its graduates. Information must be provided to a college of education or educator preparation program regarding each of its individual educator graduates and must include, but is not limited to:
(1) SCPASS and SC READY, or the succeeding assessment, scores aggregated by classroom, content, and/or grade, school, district, and learner demographic;
(2) Student leaning objective data aggregated by classroom, content, and/or grade, school, district, and learner demographic;
(3) results of ADEPT Evaluation by individual educator graduate;
(4) records of employee certification by individual educator graduate; and
(5) other information requested by the programs designed to enhance the ability of the college of education or educator preparation program to provide improved education services.
(B) A college of education or educator preparation program receiving individualized information regarding its graduates pursuant to subsection (A) shall:
(1) develop and use a unique system for identifying each individual educator graduate for whom it receives such individualized information;
(2) strictly maintain the confidentiality of all information that can be used to identify an individual educator graduate for whom it receives such information; and
(2) not share such information with a third party without the express written consent of the educator.
(C) Information provided to a college of education or educator preparation program pursuant to this section is not subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on December 12, 2019 at 2:56 PM