Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Reps. Huggins, Wooten and Gilliam
Document Path: l:\council\bills\agm\19575wab19.docx
Introduced in the House on February 19, 2019
Currently residing in the House Committee on Education and Public Works
Summary: Military Priority Registration Act
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2/19/2019 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 32) 2/19/2019 House Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 32) 1/21/2020 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Gilliam
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, SO AS TO ENACT THE "MILITARY PRIORITY REGISTRATION ACT"; AND BY ADDING SECTION 59-103-37 SO AS TO PROVIDE PRIORITY COURSE ENROLLMENT FOR MILITARY-RELATED STUDENTS, AND TO DEFINE NECESSARY TERMINOLOGY.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. This act must be known and may be cited as the "Military Priority Registration Act".
SECTION 2. Article 1, Chapter 103, Title 59 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 59-103-37. (A) For purposes of this section:
(1) 'Military-related students' are defined as:
(a) active-duty members of the uniformed services;
(c) members of the South Carolina National Guard; and
(d) veterans of the uniformed services, with the exception of those separated through:
(i) general discharge under other than honorable conditions;
(ii) bad conduct discharge; or
(iii) dishonorable discharge.
(2) 'Professional careers' mean courses of study that prepare a student for a particular occupation or profession.
(B) Public institutions of higher learning shall give enrollment priority to military-related students as provided in this section.
(C) To demonstrate eligibility for priority course enrollment, a student must submit both the military priority enrollment request form and proof of military-related status to the registrar's office. Materials may be submitted in person, via email, fax, or postal mail. Any of the following are sufficient to document proof of military-related status:
(1) DD Form 214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty;
(2) DD Form 256 - Honorable Discharge Certificate;
(3) WD AGO - Enlistment Record;
(4) military orders;
(5) military identification card; or
(6) veteran identification card issued in South Carolina.
(D)(1) To demonstrate eligibility for the ensuing:
(a) summer session or fall semester, documentation must be received before March first; and
(b) January term or spring semester, documentation must be received by October first.
(2) These deadlines apply to students in the undergraduate, graduate, and professional careers.
(E) For the purposes of this section, the following constitutes priority course enrollment for the fall and spring semesters:
(1) for the undergraduate career, second-, third-, and fourth-year students are assigned priority enrollment appointment dates within their class year;
(2) for the graduate career, students are assigned enrollment appointment dates one day before other students within the graduate career;
(3) for the professional careers, eligible students may request priority enrollment for graduation requirement courses; and
(4) for January term and summer session, military-related students are assigned enrollment appointment dates in the first enrollment group."
SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on January 21, 2020 at 1:09 PM